Basics: Pitching or hitting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Basics: Pitching or hitting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Basics: Pitching or hitting?

Postby red » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:53 pm

Some advice, please, guys:
I've got an opportunity to add (in a keeper league- contracts- free agent draft) either 2 stud OFs (think Vlad and Giles; certainly Vlad and Sosa) or 1 stud P and one OF.
Usually I lean towards pitching; but I can always fill out my staff in later rounds with picks like Jerome Williams, Webb, Vargas, maybe even Greinke.
What would you do with your first two rounds?

Currently I have:
Ps:
K. Brown
Wolf
Myers
Moyer
Weaver
CP Isringhausen

Lineup:
C: Vic M.
1B: Delgado
2B: Durham
3B: Chavez
SS: Reyes
OF: Kearns
OF: Garrett Anderson
OF: Empty
DH: Hafner (basically empty, would prefer not to go into the season with him at DH)

Thanks!
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:55 pm

As much as you have holes at pitcher, I would go for the two stud OF. Kearns can't be counted on just yet, and like you said, you don';t want to rely on Hafer. Your other hitters are OK, but you aren't loaded with stud HR totals, which would change with Vlad and Sosa. Go for it, and then play the waiver rotation with pitchers like you mentioned (Williams being one main target).

I'd love your feedback on my Cafe All-Star Draft Results post...
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Thanks

Postby red » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:23 pm

Thanks, don't disagree with you-- great post, btw, the league results. Good fodder!

Anyone else on this one? Don't disagree with Warpigs although I admit my inclination is to always add a Pedro or a Schilling in the first round; then maybe the Sosa in the second (forget Pujols at that point)- then maybe later the hitting options are like Miguel Cabrera or someone similar to fill out the DH spot... same reasoning as J. Williams to fill out the pitching... thoughts?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hooligan1 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:37 pm

I'd much prefer to add a couple stud hitters to get your power totals up there. Pitchers seem to come from out of nowhere during the season a lot more often then batters do..... That said, your SP is not great, so I certainly don't think you could go wrong picking a pitcher and a hitter, it just wouldn't be my preference.....
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Mordraken » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:46 pm

hooligan1 wrote:Pitchers seem to come from out of nowhere during the season a lot more often then batters do.....

That's what I was thinking (from a keeper perspective). Quality batters are much easier to rely on than pitchers.

However, you did say "contracts". If there's a price (like an auction price) associated with those it's an entirely different story. But since it seems you draft these players, I'd go with the batters unless it's a young stud like Oswalt, Halladay or someone like that.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers