Any thoughts on Bartolo Colon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any thoughts on Bartolo Colon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any thoughts on Bartolo Colon?

Postby kingdog439 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:14 pm

rotoquest wrote:As I previously stated in the original post colon is pretty motivated to pitch well as he is pitching for a future contract, so he is going to do everything possible to keep his spot. I agree with yoda that buchholz will probably stay in AAA, and I believe when schilling is ready to come back that lester despite his no hitter, will be forced out of a spot because he has more options than wakefield. This leaves a rotation of beckett, matsuzaka, schilling, colon, wakefield.

So, the last two guys in the majors who threw no hitters are going to be out of the rotation. What a luxury the Sox have!
kingdog439
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jswede » Thu May 22, 2008 6:19 pm

hhmmm....?

seriously, 46 for 74 pitches for strikes + ~96mph + Boston bats = good pick-up
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 am

Some more opinions...
link
What are your expectations for Bartolo Colon in 2008 now that he's back in the majors?

Eric Mack: The only real expectation you should have is a DL stint at some point. Colon is an outstanding sleeper in all Fantasy leagues. Every Red Sox starter is. He has been reaching the mid-90s at times during his minor league starts, but the question is how long can he sustain it? His history of arm issues suggests not all the rest of the way. In spurts, Colon can be a dominant Fantasy starter, but don't count on him as a must-start every week ace.

Michael Hurcomb: Disappointment. Colon won his first start Wednesday against the Royals, but we have seen this before. Don't forget -- he won five of his first six starts in 2007 with the Angels before falling apart and spending months on the DL with an elbow injury. He has already been injured once this season down in the minors and he hasn't pitched a full season since 2005. Colon is not getting any younger, and if he struggles at some point, Boston has plenty of alternatives waiting in the wings.

David Gonos: This much we know about Colon: When he's healthy, more often than not, he's able to pitch well. The Red Sox have a stellar lineup to get him leads, and their bullpen is still considered above-average to help keep those leads in tact. But with four months ahead, you'd be happy to get three months (half a season) of action from the 34-year-old (35 on Saturday). I think an 7-4 record with an ERA around 4.50 in 14 starts (80 IP) is reasonable.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Sat May 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff wrote:"Was he a little bit thinner then?" I asked.

"Not really," said Giordano. "He was always pretty heavy. It didn't matter, though, he could pitch. He had that great slider, could throw in the high 90s. Great arm. If he's anything like that guy, or the guy who won the Cy Young with the Angels, he's going to be a big pickup for Boston. I saw him in spring training and he was throwing the ball pretty well. He's a horse. He'll take the ball and give it his best every time out."

So we wondered what form of Bartolo Colon we would get last night in his return to the majors and his Red Sox debut. The reclamation project? The shadow of himself? The reinvented finesse guy? The guy who can still win on smarts and wisdom? The same old Colon?

"That Bartolo you saw seven years ago," said Colon through translator Ed Romero Jr. "Maybe a little bit different now, yet no less effective."

One thing that hasn't changed is that he's a big man.

Current photos indicate he's lost weight since spring training. The Sox put him on a nutrition program back then, concerned that girth would interfere with proper mechanics. They hoped he would stick to it. Then he suffered an oblique injury and required rest, usually not good for someone battling a weight issue. Hard to tell how much he's lost because the team is mum on that subject, but his mechanics seemed fine over the first few innings.

The fact we're talking about Colon possibly being Boston's fifth starter is interesting on a couple of levels. For one, you don't think of a former Cy Young winner, a two-time 20-game winner, and the author of a 147-95 record as a fifth starter. But that's what happens after an injury, after wear and tear on the shoulder or the elbow, and with age.

We're talking about a guy who in 2002 was traded along with J.D. Drew's brother, Tim, from the Indians to the Expos for Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens.

We're talking about a guy who earned his first major league win at Fenway June 7, 1997, 9-5, over Aaron Sele. He pitched seven innings in that game, allowing eight hits and four runs while striking out five.

Colon said last night's start brought him back to that day, when he had a super Indians lineup behind him, including Manny Ramírez, who is someone he calls a "second brother."

The Red Sox aren't asking Colon to be a 20-game winner again, just a guy who can maybe use his savvy to win a big game. Maybe just to fill the void left by Curt Schilling, who may not be a major factor this season.

Colon represents depth, the counterpoint to the youthful Clay Buchholz, who is on the disabled list. Colon is the eighth pitcher to start for the Red Sox, as management knew in the offseason it needed to acquire veteran insurance. While many teams watched Colon pitch winter ball in the Dominican and stayed away, the Red Sox dived in feet first. Allard Baird, assistant to the general manager, scouted Colon in the Dominican and decided he was worth the gamble.

"We say it all the time. If you think you need five starters for a year, you're crazy," said manager Terry Francona. "It doesn't happen very often and it's nice to be able to not have to bring somebody back early and then all of a sudden pay the price a month down the road."

The Sox performed their usual strength tests to determine how Colon's surgically repaired shoulder measured up. They concluded the shoulder was strong.

After teams watched him in spring training, scouts and GMs were kicking themselves for not taking the same leap.

Colon knew he was done last night after five innings because he had a pitch limit. Francona said after the game that Colon is in the rotation and will take his turn every fifth day.

One of the big concerns for scouts who watched Colon in spring training and in his recent rehab stint in Pawtucket was how long he could go before his fastball began to fade. He hit 97 miles per hour in his final outing for Pawtucket when he pitched six innings of one-hit ball at Buffalo. Last night, he threw two-seam fastballs in the low 90s and his four-seamer got cranked up to 96 at least twice.

Colon spotted his fastball well. There were a couple of breaking balls and changeups he felt he left up in the zone, which were hit. But for the most part, Colon came away encouraged.

"I was very nervous in the first inning," he said. "It felt like my first professional outing, actually, but after the first inning, I was able to settle down and really enjoy the moment."

Colon squirmed out of a jam in the first when he stranded two runners. He threw three ground outs in the second. He was touched for a run in the third when, with two outs and a runner at first, he walked Alex Gordon and Jose Guillen singled to center.

After a 1-2-3 fourth, Colon allowed three hits and a run in the fifth, but it could have been worse had he not retired the last two batters.

Colon wound up throwing 74 pitches and allowing six hits and two runs. He walked two and struck out four. He turned a 5-2 lead over to Craig Hansen and got the win in the 6-3 decision.

This wasn't the dominating Colon of old, but good enough. Good enough to make his signing one of the better low-budget decisions of the early season.

Nick Cafardo can be reached at cafardo@globe.com

Signing could be huge

and an update on Buchholz:

Gordon Edes, Globe Staff wrote:The most significant news of the morning was Francona's announcement that Clay Buchholz (torn fingernail) is scheduled to make a rehab start for Pawtucket on Sunday. The PawSox will be home.

Varitek sits, Buchholz draws rehab assignment
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon May 26, 2008 10:59 pm

45 pitches through 4 innings, his fast bal laveraging betwee 93-96 mph, and his slider hit high 80 low 90's. Pretty damn impressive.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon May 26, 2008 11:32 pm

So far 6 ip and 1 er and he is on my bench. :-o
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby soty » Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm

Do any of you think he would be better option than Scott Olsen?
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 am

Getting KC and Sea (in Safeco) for your big comeback is a pretty cushy welcome. After seeing what he did with the Royals I grabbed him for a spot-start Monday, and it worked out. I'm holding for now, but not ready to get emotionally invested.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdsun1 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:Getting KC and Sea (in Safeco) for your big comeback is a pretty cushy welcome. After seeing what he did with the Royals I grabbed him for a spot-start Monday, and it worked out. I'm holding for now, but not ready to get emotionally invested.

I agree and will be doing the same. He definitely has a lot of upside but I can't say that I like him much more than guys like Dcab and Andrew Miller right now.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:Getting KC and Sea (in Safeco) for your big comeback is a pretty cushy welcome. After seeing what he did with the Royals I grabbed him for a spot-start Monday, and it worked out. I'm holding for now, but not ready to get emotionally invested.

This is definitely the stance that should be taken. Temper expectations, and enjoy what you're able to get out of him, for however long it lasts. I grabbed him in at least one league (it's 7:30, so my brain isn't fully awake yet), and we'll see how he holds up. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers