Any thoughts on Bartolo Colon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any thoughts on Bartolo Colon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Any thoughts on Bartolo Colon?

Postby LostInTheSauce » Thu May 22, 2008 8:32 am

I knew there would be someone with a man crush that thinks Bartolo is pretty. There is someone in the world for everyone after all.
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu May 22, 2008 1:07 pm

J35J wrote:
thedude wrote:He pitched well most of his pitches were around 92, and he may have tired a little toward the end of his outing, but he looked pretty and if he continues to regain velocity he should be decent.

:-o

Wow. I meant he looked pretty good. Not weight-wise, but in baseball ability. :-o Maybe I shouldn't post at 1 am after a day at the ballpark.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby cordscords » Thu May 22, 2008 1:42 pm

I think that right now Colon shouldnt be considered in mixed leagues. He's worth a look in AL only leagues right now, but not worth a pickup quite yet.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby chipper » Thu May 22, 2008 2:14 pm

cordscords wrote:I think that right now Colon shouldnt be considered in mixed leagues. He's worth a look in AL only leagues right now, but not worth a pickup quite yet.

You're probably right about that, only thing is due to name recognition he won't really be around long enough take a look at him and then pick up. You kinda have to make your prediction and go with it.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu May 22, 2008 2:20 pm

I wonder what this means for Clay though? If Colon is serviceable since Buchholz has an option and pitched poorly in his last couple of outings then can they just leave him at AAA? Hmmm...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Thu May 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Yoda wrote:I wonder what this means for Clay though? If Colon is serviceable since Buchholz has an option and pitched poorly in his last couple of outings then can they just leave him at AAA? Hmmm...

I wouldn't be shocked if they did. They wanted to limit his innings this year anyway, so with the luxury of Colon they may not bring him up for some time. Besides Schilling may come back at some point and he will need a rotation slot.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 22, 2008 2:39 pm

thedude wrote:
Yoda wrote:I wonder what this means for Clay though? If Colon is serviceable since Buchholz has an option and pitched poorly in his last couple of outings then can they just leave him at AAA? Hmmm...

I wouldn't be shocked if they did. They wanted to limit his innings this year anyway, so with the luxury of Colon they may not bring him up for some time. Besides Schilling may come back at some point and he will need a rotation slot.

I think leaving Clay in the minors is a good idea. Leave him available for late season and post season.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby dweenmachine » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but based on what I've read in the Boston Herald, the Red Sox purchased Colon's major league contract when they brought him up for his last start. It wasn't for chump change either, something over $1M...
Barring injury, Colon should stay in the rotation. When and if Schilling returns, if anyone gets sent to the bullpen or demoted to AAA, it's sure to be Buchholz.
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rotoquest » Thu May 22, 2008 4:28 pm

As I previously stated in the original post colon is pretty motivated to pitch well as he is pitching for a future contract, so he is going to do everything possible to keep his spot. I agree with yoda that buchholz will probably stay in AAA, and I believe when schilling is ready to come back that lester despite his no hitter, will be forced out of a spot because he has more options than wakefield. This leaves a rotation of beckett, matsuzaka, schilling, colon, wakefield.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby CaptainWeed » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 pm

I have a real good feeling with Colon the rest of teh way. I am trying to decide whether to use my #3 waiver priority on him. I know Somebody will pick him up simply because of name recognitiona nd the fact that there are a lot of sox fans in this league. Will he outperform the likes of Danks or Gavin Floyyd?
CaptainWeed
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers