An inactive owner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

An inactive owner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: An inactive owner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu May 22, 2008 1:13 pm

I would be rude too if someone was trying to kick me out of a league I paid to join. Some people arent gonna to update every day, thats just a reality. I dont see how it bothers you THAT much that someone isnt constantly updating their roster, especially in a keeper league. I know my big boy has a couple teams that take a week to reply to trades. They just arent proactive about deciding on what to do. As long as they dont have DL players sitting in the starting lineup for more then a couple days then let them be. Personally, Im not sure how making 100+ moves is something to brag about.

I know in my one keeper Ive made three moves all year, to replace DL players. Most of my bench is in the minors (Bruce, Bailey, Weiters, Snider, Lowrie) so I have no spots to play with.

And if you do kick them out you better give them a refund, otherwise I could expect them to report you for theft.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Thu May 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Not that I mean to defend these guys, but number of moves is kind of irrelevant and over 100 already seems a bit insane. I guess this is a crazy streaming league, but even that seems insane.

In my daily league, I only have 9 transactions. Others have over 40. Guess who's in first? Me, baby! It's not all about quantity.

The Frank Thomas thing. That would annoy me. Unless you have a very small bench, and he didn't want to lose Thomas.

I don't know what to tell you other than let them play and forget about it for this season. If you have only one or two inactive types, that's not so bad. You can replace them next year.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Sun May 25, 2008 2:22 am

Regarding the trade offers sitting around. Some managers choose to do this just to annoy the other manager because the offer is really stupid and lopsided. Sometimes they let them sit there waiting for a player in the deal to have a season ending injury and then they spring on the accept button when it's in their favor. Not saying it's right but that's what I've read.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 27, 2008 4:06 pm

You can't just go booting anyone because you feel they are inactive. You have to provide reasonable expectations, and then go way out of your way to determine that they are not meeting them. For instance, in my league (which is $ also), we allow owners to manage how they see fit with any level of activity provided they maintain quick and consistent contact with the league. Our philosophy: It's your business how you run your team, but you better stay in touch at all times.

No matter what, he gets a refund if you decide to kick him out of the league. You don't want to open the Pandora's Box whereby you profit from unilateral decisions. As a multi-year commish, my one and only tip is that you go way out of your way to make sure all of your decisions are ridiculously transparent.

Good luck! ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby soxfan01010 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:39 pm

lilfrier wrote:They actually had Frank Thomas starting for like 4 days after he was cut by the Jays. And again, they never defend their inactivity, or even bother to tell us that they are busy. We aid at the beginning we were doing an extremely active daily league, and all of them said they would be. And 2-4 weeks to check trades is uncalled for.

I'm not a commish, but I am pretty active in my league. Abandoned teams really drive me crazy, especially when end up losing to one of them.

We have one team in our league that has had Kelvim Escobar, Curt Schilling, and Chris Carpenter as starting pitchers from the beginning of the season. Basically he took his roster, and like a Ronco Showtime Rotisserie, he "set it and forget it". He never made any roster move, lineup changes, or emails, messages, smack talk, nothing.

Then one day, he accepted a trade when he gave A-Rod for Beltre, Vlad, and Cueto. I immediately thought the deal was fishy and vociferously opposed it. But the commish let it go through.

Since that trade, he has not made any further changes to his lineup.

Troubling...
soxfan01010 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner