Liriano...When do you think he will return? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Liriano...When do you think he will return?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Liriano...When do you think he will return?

Postby dorje3 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 am

Now he is plastered all over Yahoo!

All reports point to improved command and increasing velocity (with each start) as reasons for his recent success. Considering the start he had, I'm quite optomistic.

Thoughts? :-?
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 am

I've had a free spot open with one of my players hitting the DL and thought there's no harm in stashing Liriano without anything really appealing out on FA. That said, I'd still remain guarded about getting those hopes up, but if he keeps up in improving his command, Liriano might be up within this month or a little after. I wouldn't count on it personally but if you have the roster spot to burn, I don't see why you can't stash him.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby felixthecat011 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:The following is not based on any inside information; just a feeling combined with years of observation of Minnesota's historical M.O. (Santana, Liriano) ...

It's entirely possible Liriano will return the way he started out — in long relief.
Consider he still has a lot to prove, with respect to pitching confidently again coming off the surgery, reclaiming command, the slider, etc.
Let's say he does eventually start consistently mowing down minor-leaguers. Even then, the Twins will need an opening in the rotation. Sure, they don't have a bunch of Santanas taking the ball every day, but if the current five are healthy and at least somewhat effective in front of that relatively lightweight offense, it might benefit the club to let Liriano "prove" himself at the MLB level in relief again.
This still sets him up for necessary spot starts, and to be the guy again as soon as somebody goes down - or if he simply goes ape-sh**. This method would certainly take the pressure off his comeback, while possibly providing him with a little extra motivation.

To your original question though ... mid-June at the earliest. If he remains inconsistent, not until September call-ups. Most likely somewhere in-between, perhaps right after the break.

From http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/ro ... tasy,85424

Whispers have circulated in Minnesota about possibly moving the maligned starter back into a relief role. But Gardenhire squashed those rumors telling MLB.com May 27:

"He's going to start. He's been through enough. Coming off a surgery like that, that's not something you want...Down the road, if it looks like he can't be a starter, then you start considering that. But there has been no talk about that."
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dorje3 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Does anyone know how Liriano has been pitching lately? I can't find any up-to-date minor league stats.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kellythemick » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:07 pm

dorje3 wrote:Does anyone know how Liriano has been pitching lately? I can't find any up-to-date minor league stats.

Link:
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=434538
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tommy John » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Up by the end of June and pitching like a 3 or 4 SP is just a guess. I think the Liriano of old is gone but he can still be quite effective.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby King Tim » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:30 pm

Tommy John wrote:Up by the end of June and pitching like a 3 or 4 SP is just a guess. I think the Liriano of old is gone but he can still be quite effective.

I'm going to agree with whatever Tommy John has to say on this topic.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers