Liriano...When do you think he will return? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Liriano...When do you think he will return?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Liriano...When do you think he will return?

Postby guffee » Wed May 21, 2008 2:44 am

He has had 3 good starts and his last one went 8 innings so when do you think he will be recalled?

Is he worth it to take a chance on when he returns?
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Liriano...When do you think he will return?

Postby AllDay » Wed May 21, 2008 5:02 am

I wouldn't expect him to be called up for about another month or so.

They want him to regain his control and be confident in that control - so he probably won't be rushed back.

When he is back, he is certainly worth a shot (with the ever present disclaimer that it depends who you would be dropping for him).
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jupiter33 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:46 pm

I can see him back in the lineup at the All Star Break.
jupiter33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Wed May 21, 2008 3:25 pm

He's nothing more than WW material for this year at least.....he has no control and his fastball and slider are only mediocore at this point. I'd be suprised if he gives anyone anything this year.(fantasy)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 am

The following is not based on any inside information; just a feeling combined with years of observation of Minnesota's historical M.O. (Santana, Liriano) ...

It's entirely possible Liriano will return the way he started out — in long relief.
Consider he still has a lot to prove, with respect to pitching confidently again coming off the surgery, reclaiming command, the slider, etc.
Let's say he does eventually start consistently mowing down minor-leaguers. Even then, the Twins will need an opening in the rotation. Sure, they don't have a bunch of Santanas taking the ball every day, but if the current five are healthy and at least somewhat effective in front of that relatively lightweight offense, it might benefit the club to let Liriano "prove" himself at the MLB level in relief again.
This still sets him up for necessary spot starts, and to be the guy again as soon as somebody goes down - or if he simply goes ape-sh**. This method would certainly take the pressure off his comeback, while possibly providing him with a little extra motivation.

To your original question though ... mid-June at the earliest. If he remains inconsistent, not until September call-ups. Most likely somewhere in-between, perhaps right after the break.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AllDay » Thu May 22, 2008 5:13 am

J35J wrote:He's nothing more than WW material for this year at least.....he has no control and his fastball and slider are only mediocore at this point. I'd be suprised if he gives anyone anything this year.(fantasy)

I dunno. There is a school of thought that control is the last thing to return after TJ surgery - so it would be possible if he regained his control he would be a valuable addition for the 2nd half.

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. You may end up being right - just saying I wouldn't completely ignore the possibility that he may help this year.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Thu May 22, 2008 11:21 pm

He's been pitching well in AAA and all reports are that his velocity is up and his control is coming around.

Per Rotoworld:

May 21
Francisco Liriano yielded two runs in seven innings Tuesday for Triple-A Rochester.

Liriano threw 61 of his 91 pitches for strikes in another encouraging performance. He has a 2.77 ERA in four starts this month, and he's walked a total of four batters in his last three outings.

May 16
Francisco Liriano lasted eight innings and allowed three runs Thursday in his start for Triple-A Rochester.
Another positive development. Liriano walked just one and threw 93 pitches. The Twins won't be quick to bring him back to the majors, but a move will probably happen at some point during June if Liriano remains effective.

Not sure when he'll be back though...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Howie » Sat May 24, 2008 4:19 pm

That news is encouraging. Like many of you, im considering picking Liriano up. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger, yet...
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby mgblues » Sun May 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Howie wrote:That news is encouraging. Like many of you, im considering picking Liriano up. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger, yet...

I just read that Liriano may be getting the call in next week or so... it was in pitching report on CBS. Nothing definite, just speculation, but since the first callup was a bit too early in terms of the time required to recover from surgery, this might be a good time to grab him.

I'm just trying to decide if I should consider dropping Bonderman, Cueto or Rasner to grab him. I just picked up Kershaw & am going to run him out there this week. Figured I've got so few starters this week that 1 less that I wasn't going to start anyway (Bonderman) or 1 less who's been shelled lately (Cueto), may not be too much of a price.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago... we've got a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes, it's dark & we're wearing sunglasses...

Hit it."
mgblues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AllDay » Mon May 26, 2008 9:02 am

Scott Baker is probably the first SP that will get the call. I think he pitches today in a rehab start. After him the pickings get a little thin. With another couple good starts I could see Liriano getting the call - but more likely it will be around the ASB.

Alot will depend on how the SP's on the big club are performing in the next couple weeks.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers