Free agent claims - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Free agent claims

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Free agent claims

Postby salty_tapioca_balls » Wed May 21, 2008 2:03 am

I am commissioner in a roto league (weekly transactions) that has set up a Yahoo account for our Free Agent claims. Claims are to be submitted by noon Tuesday, then our league statistician compiles the bids and then sorts everything out. He is the only team to see all of the bids of all of the teams, and I have one team claiming that this is an unfair advantage & that that information should be available to everybody, all info published every week (adding to the workload of the unpaid league statistician position) If there was to be a dispute, I could go into the site and see for myself if there in fact were any transgressions, but no one has raised any objections to any specific transactions in four years. We have voted on the issue every year and the vast majority have voted for the status quo, possibly because they feel the statistician's work is exemplary, and possibly because they don't like the complaining team. :-X

I don't see our transaction guy gaining any real advantage in being the only one to see this info. Am I wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
salty_tapioca_balls
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Free agent claims

Postby noseeum » Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 am

You can't set a particular day each week for waivers to run? Instead you have to do this wacky band aid procedure?

Yet ANOTHER reason CBS is better than yahoo. You can set waivers to only run on Tuesdays in CBS leagues (or any other day of course.) And you can make all free agents always on waivers, which I think is what you're trying to do.

Besides that, of course the stat guy has an advantage. He can see requests all week and then see who he should prioritize getting. He may be an honest guy, but it's a clear conflict of interest. I'm sure he's been good about it, but who cares? If it can be addressed it should be. Plus, why does this guy want to do all that work? Move the league to CBS next year and be done with it.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Free agent claims

Postby Matthias » Wed May 21, 2008 11:42 am

It is an advantage; even if he is being Honest Abe and processing everything faithfully, he gets insight into the bidding patterns of everyone else for future reference. It's pretty questionable as to the value of this advantage, but it is non-zero. Assumedly, the stats guy has to compile all of the bids into a spreadsheet or Word document, anyways, to process it... I see no extra work in doing it as a Google document that anyone can check after everything is processed.

Or as noseeum said, just do your league on Sportsline. They will process your waiver claims for you, even with a Free Agent bidding process.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner