12 Wins So Far=Punt Wins?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

12 Wins So Far=Punt Wins??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 Wins So Far=Punt Wins??

Postby daniel80111 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:32 am

I have 12 wins so far in the season...yes, 12 wins. That is the worst I've ever heard of thus far. Is it worth it for me in a roto league to just punt wins all together?? I mean the leader is in the 30's and I'm sitting here with Matt Cain, Dustin Mcgowan, and King Felix pitching me zeros in the wins column. If there is anyone with less wins out there please let me know so I feel a little bit better. haha Thanks guys.
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Wins So Far=Punt Wins??

Postby XFactah416 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:58 am

Punting any category does you no good in a Roto league..

Keep your head up anyway. Catching the leader will be hard, but you can definitely get a respectable score in Ws at the end of the year. Championships aren't won in May.
XFactah416
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 84)

Postby guffee » Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 am

I don't play roto but it would be hard to punt wins simply because that mean punting starters altogether. It is hard to find good sp/rp pitchers that you can depend on for good whip/era. Going with straight relievers could be done but you will also be limited but the number of guys you could play per day. If you play with inning limits than you can definitely go with punting starters but if not, stick with starting guys.
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed May 21, 2008 2:59 am

XFactah416 wrote:Punting any category does you no good in a Roto league..

Keep your head up anyway. Catching the leader will be hard, but you can definitely get a respectable score in Ws at the end of the year. Championships aren't won in May.

Agreed. I always tend to suck it up in wins at the beginning of the year (Im in an 11 team 6x6 where Im top-2 in all 5 other cats and second to last in Ws), but punting is out of the question. Even if I can salvage 6th place, those 4 extra points I gain from not getting last is worth it in the end more often than not. Don't chase wins and sacrifice ERA and WHIP, but make sure you get enough starts to be in the top 1/3 of Ks and some Ws are likely to come ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby puckwild » Wed May 21, 2008 7:08 am

daniel80111 wrote:I have 12 wins so far in the season...yes, 12 wins. That is the worst I've ever heard of thus far. Is it worth it for me in a roto league to just punt wins all together?? I mean the leader is in the 30's and I'm sitting here with Matt Cain, Dustin Mcgowan, and King Felix pitching me zeros in the wins column. If there is anyone with less wins out there please let me know so I feel a little bit better. haha Thanks guys.
I'm in the same boat as you and have 14 Wins on the season. I've had horrible luck! I don't see any way I can move up more than 2-3 spots, so I'm doing kind of a modified punt to gain in the other pitching cats. Reliable high strikeout starters (as much as possible), at least 3 closers, and Marmol or someone similar. You will be sacrificing more starts than the rest, but the key is to gain in all the other cats. It helps that since I am leading all offence cats by a lot except for steals, I was able to make some trades. Good luck...
puckwild
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 am

I feel your pain in wins... its a category that I always seem to struggle in for some reason.

What do the leaders have? In my 12 team league the wins leader only has 25 with a few others in the 20s and a few others in the high teens (the team with the fewest wins has 10 if that makes you feel better). I find it hard to believe you don't have a reasonable chance to get back to middle of the pack... even if you need to make up 10 wins. We're only 1/4 way through the year and wins tend to come in spurts.

I would not punt yet unless you need to sell the farm to make up ground or there's only one team within striking distance. Otherwise, make a few moves to increase your chances a bit and then hope for some luck over the next six weeks. If that does not prove helpful, then you can make deals for low-wins guys that will still help elsewhere (Cain type of guys).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby WyldStallyn » Wed May 21, 2008 9:42 am

verlander and harang are killing my win totals, but im not too far out. i dont like punting a category, so i wouldnt abandon them just yet. you can always start churning starters to catch up
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby great gretzky » Wed May 21, 2008 11:08 am

If someone can open up that kind of lead, you can make it up at this point. I would not punt wins, as its one of those things that is hard to punt anyway. Can't chase it, but its hard to decline, as you still want good pitchers for your other stats. Depending on how it shakes out, the type of thing you can do, is instead of punting wins, size up saves (later on in the season), and if you can afford to, trade your closers for help elsewhere, and use those spots for middle relievers who can vulture wins. It's much too early to punt IMO. Some of the leaders have pitchers who are winning every time out, and it should temper a bit. Like Webb isn't going to win 30, dicek, saunders, etc. It's something that you need to pay attention to. But its something that is kind of hard to trade for, so you shouldn't really punt it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rainman23 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I'm subconsciously punting wins every season. I tend to view them as random, and with little relation to all of the other "skill-based" categories. So I focus on ratios, K's, and let the wins take care of themselves. Then every once in a while I'll peek my head up and realize, jeese, I've got a lot of starters from crappy teams on my staff. Guys who may not win even when they pitch great.

But, anyway, like the others said -- it's still early. Like Gretzky said -- if someone else can get lucky in this column for a while, maybe it's your turn next. FWIW, I also had 12 wins going into last night. And came away with three more. Still a ways to go before I get out of the basement. But think of that glorious day when we're checking the standings and we see a "2" in this category instead of a "1." That'll be an accomplishment.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Wed May 21, 2008 1:26 pm

Man, I smoked this category last year without even trying in my keeper. I had something like 25 or 30 more wins than the next guy by the end. Of course, I could see it happening, and what can you do? you still need those guys for ks and era/whip, so how do you trade out of it? I just think sometimes, not much you can really do about it ultimately. You can trade guys like lincecum and something else to get a webb maybe, or similar moves, but I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a stat that is hard to decouple from the player. Like if you have sizemore and steals to burn, you can trade him for a 4 cat version of himself and some other stat you need. I think that kind of trade is a little harder when the stat is wins. I mean do you trade for bad closers who will blow the save and get the win?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers