Furcal... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Furcal...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Furcal...

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:54 am

...all depends on your SS options and your DL slots.

I'm going to hold until after the ASB. I'm guessing his docs will tell him to take it easy until then after this last setback.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Yeah, sadly we're reaching the point with Furcal where I'm starting to look forward to the bad news. These guys who are on the verge of coming back for weeks, then months, can clog up your roster like nothing else. The last thing we need to hear is "two more weeks." This thing's going to nickel and dime us all the way to September if we're not careful.

Regardless -- thanks for several great weeks, Raf. You don't owe me a damned thing.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:02 pm

while I wanted a heck of a lot more return from Furcal... I sort of just wish for some resolution at this point... the trunk strengthening program doesn't seem to be working... I guess we shall see what the doctor says, though i'm not expecting good news... i mean, what's he going to say? Shut down baseball activites again? He's now tried this multiple times, usually if conservative remedies don't work surgery is the only way... What sucks is that he was so close to returning, the guy wants to play so bad, but back injuries are just the worst
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Relentless » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:41 pm

I just lost all hope for this guy with the recent news. Good luck to those who is sticking with him.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Relentless wrote:I just lost all hope for this guy with the recent news. Good luck to those who is sticking with him.

Wait until the next medical announcement... I think that will tell us everything we need to know... there's no way the dodgers can just say: "we're going to just return to the normal program"... that hasn't worked, either the injury isn't as severe as we fear or they need to shut him down and or pursue surgery. I can't have this guy wasting away on my DL for time eternal... not when I've got 4 other DL players with better prospects of return...

he was so close, that's the worst of this... he goes to rehab, hits a double... feels good after the game, but wakes up with discomfort... putting him the same situation he was in to begin to the year with
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby damnitman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:20 pm

I am praying for bad news so i can finally drop him and add a live body already!
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:24 pm

damnitman wrote:I am praying for bad news so i can finally drop him and add a live body already!

I want either miraculous news, as in "Oh it was just a slight strain, not related to your original condition..." but if not that... then yeah, just lay it on us and let's move on...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby abrage22 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:50 am

Furcal is getting surgery :~( :~( miss at least 8 weeks. my steal is going bye bye to the FA pool
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:32 am

I think it's time to cut bait...

Ken Gurnick / MLB.com wrote:Furcal slated for back surgery
Dodgers star to miss at least eight weeks to repair bulging disc

HOUSTON -- Injured Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal waved the white flag Wednesday when it was announced he would undergo surgery Thursday for a bulging disc.

Dr. Robert Watkins will perform a microdiscectomy, a minimally invasive surgical procedure using microscopic magnification to remove all or part of a ruptured disc pressing on a nerve in Furcal's lower back.

Manager Joe Torre would not concede that Furcal will be lost for the rest of the season, but neither did he say he's holding his breath awaiting Furcal's return.

"From all the numbers I've heard, he'll probably miss a minimum of eight weeks," said Torre, meaning a return of September at the earliest.

That's probably overly optimistic. Watkins performed a similar procedure in 2002 on Dodgers pitcher Kevin Brown, whose disc was badly ruptured. Brown rushed back after two months, but quickly had to shut it down because he was not fully healed. Reliever Eric Gagne underwent a similar operation by Watkins at St. Vincent's Hospital on July 8, 2006. Like Brown, Gagne was also trying to return from elbow woes at the time and did not pitch again that season.

Furcal will be a free agent after this season. He attempted to rehabilitate the injury twice this year, nearly beginning a Minor League assignment a month ago before a relapse. He then underwent a strenuous core exercise program in an attempt to avoid this surgery, but after one game at Triple-A Las Vegas this week, he woke up the next day in pain again.

"It's a blow," said Torre. "It's reality. I got a little tempted Monday when he ran out there with no hesitation, but he woke up sore the next day. From what I understand, he wants to get it done and over with and start getting better. We anticipate this will solve everything."

Well, not exactly everything, because it does nothing to solve the hole created two months ago when Furcal reinjured his lower back, which also cost him the final 12 games of the 2007 season.

The Dodgers have been shopping for shortstops ever since Furcal went down in early May, but the only move they made was a relatively inexpensive pickup of Kansas City Minor Leaguer Angel Berroa, who is hitting .183 and has yielded to rookie utilityman Luis Maza, who is hitting .239. General manager Ned Colletti figures to step up efforts to find an established shortstop, however a club official said nothing is imminent.

Torre hedged when asked if he thought the Dodgers had a solution within the organization, saying any acquisition must be judged by its cost. Chin-lung Hu was the original replacement for Furcal, but his bat was overmatched and now he's sidelined with an eye problem that has not been definitively diagnosed.

Torre said Nomar Garciaparra, currently on a rehab assignment with Las Vegas before he returns from a lingering calf muscle problem, will be a part-time solution at shortstop, where he was a five-time All-Star while with Boston.

"I'll look at Nomar at shortstop, but I'm not thinking on an everyday basis," said Torre. "It's not fair to Nomar, considering how long it's been."
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Postby djxskillz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 am

guess he isn't worth holding onto in a keeper league then?
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates