Ellsbury- 1st-2nd round pick next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ellsbury- 1st-2nd round pick next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ellsbury- 1st-2nd round pick next year?

Postby jfg » Tue May 20, 2008 10:21 pm

He'll have a full-time job for sure by next year. If Jose Reyes and Carl Crawford are 1st-2nd round picks Ellsbury has to be as well, right?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ellsbury- 1st-2nd round pick next year?

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue May 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Not enough of a track record for 1st round but he could be a 2nd/3rd rounder if his BA gets closer to .300 and keeps up his current pace everywhere else because he would basically have the same numbers as Carl Crawford.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Philliebuster » Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 pm

I'd take him in the 4th at the earliest. He's more Pierre-esque, Reyes, Craw and Hanley have more power.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:35 pm

Philliebuster wrote:I'd take him in the 4th at the earliest. He's more Pierre-esque, Reyes, Craw and Hanley have more power.

Totally agree
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue May 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Philliebuster wrote:I'd take him in the 4th at the earliest. He's more Pierre-esque, Reyes, Craw and Hanley have more power.

Pierre needed 700 at-bats to reach 3 home runs in '06, Ellsbury is already there. Hanley isn't in this conversation because he's miles above Crawford and Reyes in fantasy. The argument really is that if those guys get drafted that high and routinely put up numbers that match Ellsbury's current pace, shouldn't he go that high as well? The logical answer is no, taking him in the first 3 rounds is insane, but if he does end up with like 120 R, 12 HR, 75 RBI, 50 SB, .295, he could be preranked as a top 25 guy in expert rankings, regardless of the Cafe consensus viewing that as asinine.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:

Pierre needed 700 at-bats to reach 3 home runs in '06, Ellsbury is already there. Hanley isn't in this conversation because he's miles above Crawford and Reyes in fantasy. The argument really is that if those guys get drafted that high and routinely put up numbers that match Ellsbury's current pace, shouldn't he go that high as well? The logical answer is no, taking him in the first 3 rounds is insane, but if he does end up with like 120 R, 12 HR, 75 RBI, 50 SB, .295, he could be preranked as a top 25 guy in expert rankings, regardless of the Cafe consensus viewing that as asinine.

Those numbers are evocative of Byrnes with less power but more runs, or the obvious comparison, Damon with more speed and less power. Comparisons to Craw are ridiculous, not all 5-tool outfielders are interchangeable with each other. That said, I think he's a good 4th round candidate if he puts up numbers like that, much like Byrnes if Byrnes wasn't a one-season wonder. And that's where he's probably going to be ranked, should he follow a production rate like the one you predict, which is a reasonable line to follow.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm

I'd also say that Ellsbury is kind of a cross between a Juan Pierre and Johnny Damon type, a little more power than Pierre, but not the 20 HR type either. I'll concur that he'll be a 4th round type if he keeps things up, especially his average, if he can push it at .300 or over.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby BigTex24 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:16 am

No, he's not a Carl Crawford because he won't give you the 80-95 RBI CC will give you and also I don't think he will hit .300
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Wed May 21, 2008 12:56 am

Well people always though Crawford's power would develop, but it never really did. If Jacoby can get his batting average up over 300 and he is scoring 110 runs, he will be a solid second/third rounder because his steals are going to be there.

Where would you draft a .305 BA, 115 run, 10 home run, 50 steal, 70 rbi guy?

Reyes has slightly more value due position.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 21, 2008 1:16 am

Overrated. Y'all can have him in the 1st-2nd round. Please. Take him. Please.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers