Darrell Rasner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Darrell Rasner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Darrell Rasner

Postby verb1999 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on this pitcher. Obviously a young Yankees prospect who has been called up and done very well his first two starts. Is his potential very high, or are they just using him to fill in for time being? I don't know anything about the guy, but am intrigued, and wanted some more info before I maybe picked him up in time for his start against the Orioles tomorrow.
verb1999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Re: Darrell Rasner

Postby verb1999 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Where were you guys, this guy is rocking Baltimore right now.
verb1999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby miller24x » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm

He's on my team. I'll ride his starts until he cools off.
miller24x
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 23, 2008 3:11 pm

The problem is he doesn't seem to start every week. If he were going to get a start every 5 days, I'd feel more easy about having him on my team. I've picked him up too. I'm hoping that the Yanks will use him on a regular basis because he is doing so good. That being said, I keep hearing Joba is going to be starting soon. Who are the Yankees going to take out of the rotation if/when that happens? Judging by the fact that Rasner was the one to lose his start last time, I'm afraid it would be him.

Any Yankee fans who are closer to the situation have any info on this?
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chuckd05 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:17 am

i am a yankee fan, and if one thing in uncertain its the yankee's pitching staff. Girardi has already shown he has a short leash with young pitchers. But the fact is, who ever is winning games will most likely get the spots... wang, pettite, moose, ? , ? every week for now....
Chuckd05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Za_German » Sat May 24, 2008 3:14 am

quitesanemax wrote:The problem is he doesn't seem to start every week. If he were going to get a start every 5 days, I'd feel more easy about having him on my team. I've picked him up too. I'm hoping that the Yanks will use him on a regular basis because he is doing so good. That being said, I keep hearing Joba is going to be starting soon. Who are the Yankees going to take out of the rotation if/when that happens? Judging by the fact that Rasner was the one to lose his start last time, I'm afraid it would be him.

The last week's push back was due to weather, not management. You think Ras will be sent down before that bum Kennedy? No way, Ras will get the starts until he blows it at least 3 times in a row. Yankees have some guys waiting in the wings, but they don't have veterans waiting. Ras will get the starts, and his peripherals will not be that great, but I think the ERA is for real. He's going to be around for a while, and is more than worth a flyer.

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CharlatanSin » Sat May 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Za_German wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:The problem is he doesn't seem to start every week. If he were going to get a start every 5 days, I'd feel more easy about having him on my team. I've picked him up too. I'm hoping that the Yanks will use him on a regular basis because he is doing so good. That being said, I keep hearing Joba is going to be starting soon. Who are the Yankees going to take out of the rotation if/when that happens? Judging by the fact that Rasner was the one to lose his start last time, I'm afraid it would be him.

The last week's push back was due to weather, not management. You think Ras will be sent down before that bum Kennedy? No way, Ras will get the starts until he blows it at least 3 times in a row. Yankees have some guys waiting in the wings, but they don't have veterans waiting. Ras will get the starts, and his peripherals will not be that great, but I think the ERA is for real. He's going to be around for a while, and is more than worth a flyer.

I'm not so sure. Rasner 's getting the job done for now, but his ceiling doesn't even to begin to approach Ian Kennedy's, to say nothing of Hughes and Joba. On top of that, he's already 27 and didn't make his MLB debut until age 25. He was never a stud in the minors. I wouldn't bet the farm on him becoming a full-time member of the rotation.

On the other hand, the Yankees do have a history of having starters who nobody thought would do anything have great seasons (Aaron Small to name one). Such a big factor in pitching for the Yankees is being able to handle pitching in New York, and Rasner seems to be able to do it.

In short, I'd be more surprised if he stuck around in the rotation than if he didn't, but neither outcome would shock me.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Za_German » Sat May 24, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm not so sure. Rasner 's getting the job done for now, but his ceiling doesn't even to begin to approach Ian Kennedy's, to say nothing of Hughes and Joba.

Subjective as to whether or not Kennedy's "ceiling" is higher than Rasner's, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that this is true, the Yankees are not in a "let's evaluate our prospects" phase. They're not in a rebuiliding stage - their looking to compete for a championship. As such, whoever is getting the job done (i.e. Rasner) will get the nod over those who are not (i.e. Kennedy and Hughes).

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 am

Za_German wrote:
I'm not so sure. Rasner 's getting the job done for now, but his ceiling doesn't even to begin to approach Ian Kennedy's, to say nothing of Hughes and Joba.

Subjective as to whether or not Kennedy's "ceiling" is higher than Rasner's, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that this is true, the Yankees are not in a "let's evaluate our prospects" phase. They're not in a rebuiliding stage - their looking to compete for a championship. As such, whoever is getting the job done (i.e. Rasner) will get the nod over those who are not (i.e. Kennedy and Hughes).

I would hope you're right, because this is how they should be thinking. However, that's always been their problem. The Yankees seem more worried about mimicking the Red Sox and vice versa that they look past the smart thing to do. Remember the Melky/Kennedy for Johan trade they wouldn't do before the season? Not looking so hot now. At least they still have their prospects... :-t
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Mashug » Tue May 27, 2008 1:04 am

Rasner is a greatly improved pitcher. He had big numbers in the minors this year which is why he was called up. They're very high on him and in their current state, I think he sticks with the team at least for a while. I picked him up today after watching him pitch. Not overpowering, but has great contol and hits the corners with very good movement. He's a hole lot like Moose without the mid 90's fastball. Raz only gets it up to 88 or 89. If he does stick, he could win a nice handful of games with that lineup.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates