draft strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

draft strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

draft strategies

Postby lyndhurst lambchops » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:55 am

just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on draft strategies.
big topics that i go back and forth on:
1. do you make picks from round to round based on position needs, or best available talent?
2. so few quality catchers...go for catcher early or hope for mid-draft gem?
3. first 2 rounds...pitcher and hitter or best available?
4. any other general principles people go by????
lyndhurst lambchops

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:10 am

For me my first pick has to be a position player, but who depends on where I am picking and who has been picked above me. If there is a run on SS I A) get the next best SS if they are in the top tier or go for the top 3B or 1B. I tend to shy away from OF and P in the first two rounds as after the 5 its almost a crap shoot. As for a C there are only 3 worth taking in the top 5 rounds so find a steal in the later rounds.

just my .02.
Aggie_Eric98
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

position runs

Postby illadel illies » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:34 am

i think this is one of the toughest points of drafting. when the run starts, jump on the train or go in a different direction. if you keep jumping on, you can end up with the 4th or 5th best player at every position (instead of the 1st or 2nd at some spots)
illadel illies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: position runs

Postby ferris182 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:45 am

illadel illies wrote:i think this is one of the toughest points of drafting. when the run starts, jump on the train or go in a different direction. if you keep jumping on, you can end up with the 4th or 5th best player at every position (instead of the 1st or 2nd at some spots)

Good point. ;-D

For example, if you see all of the top Closers or Catchers go off of the board, grab a top player from your master player list.

Then wait a few rounds, and grab a 2nd or 3rd tier closer, or catcher.

If I feel that I am particularly weak in an area, I draft 1 or 2 extra players at that position, and hope that one of them comes through.
For example- if I don't get a top 5 2B, I'll wait and then grab Durham and Harriston in the middle to late rounds.
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mighty Monks » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:58 am

I agree with Ferris. I try to stay composed and not jump on t he runs. I try to go with best talent available through the first third of the draft. The middle third I go with best available at positions I need and the last third I go with best available/most upside again. I find tihs works very well, and you can get some great pickups later on and you can use a trade bait. ALso, if there is a area I am weaker in, like closers, I also go for numbers and hope someone breaks out, but I like to get my offense settled
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mark8037 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:44 pm

I try to get the best players on the board unless there is a run on one postion. The most important thing is not to pay too much for someone you are most likely to get later on. Dont get the sucky 2nd baseman coz there are not many left on the board especially when the guy 4 positions down the list is almost equally as good. Rather go for the best player at a different position. Most important thing is to be flexible.
Let's play two.
mark8037
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby vosh » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:10 pm

I am all over hitters this year. Last year there were tons of sleeper closers and starting pitchers. It's very possible to build up a good pitching staff with nothing but free agent surprises. But with hitters the free agent pool is much, much shallower. Hitters are also far more dependable than pitchers. So unless a pitcher falls way further than I think he should, I am just drafting all hitters the first 8-9 rounds.
vosh

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers