Mike Piazza Announces Retirement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Piazza Announces Retirement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Piazza Announces Retirement

Postby AussieDodger » Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Weak.

He should have kept playing so the A's got a draft pick. :-t

Nice one Pizza :-C
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am

Piazza is definitely going into the Hall as a Met.

When you think Piazza you think Mets. Unless you're a Dodgers fan or a hater (like Rump :-D).

The 9/11 Home Run is one of the greatest moments in Mets history.

Did you guys read his announcement letter? Very nice. LINK

Mike Piazza wrote:Last but certainly not least, I can’t say goodbye without thanking the fans. I can’t recall a time in my career where I didn’t feel embraced by all of you. Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and Miami - whether it was at home or on the road, you were all so supportive over the years. But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn’t have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

So today, I walk away with no regrets. I knew this day was coming and over the last two years, I started to make my peace with it. For 19 years, I gave it my all and left everything on the field.

God bless and thanks for a wonderful ride.

:,-(
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am

Amazinz wrote:Piazza is definitely going into the Hall as a Met.

I would think so as well. Although the first image that pops into my head of Piazza is him as a Dodger. He is one of the 50/50 type guys like Schilling or Edmonds where the Hall would probably defer to his personal preference between the two. Judging by his statement I'm assuming he would lean towards the Mets.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:52 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
NYCBuckeye wrote:Congrats on a great career Mike, and for some ridiculously clutch hitting while a member of the Mets. You may not have brought us a title, but you made us relevant again. I still wish you beat down Clemens after he punked you with that broken bat, but I am nit-picking ...

This is the one moment from Piazza that sticks out to me more than any other - not charging the mound after Clemens threw a bat at him. Instead, Clemens stayed in and threw a gem and you could feel the wind leave the Mets sails. If he had charged the mound and been ejected along with Clemens, the result of the World Series might have been totally different.

Yea the Yankees might have won 4-2 instead of 4-1. :-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Great career is right. This guy had a career 308 average. Wow.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Makes me feel old. Piazza is a sure fire HOF player and I've seen his whole career.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Strange. I mainly will remember him as a Dodger with Lasorda there as his manager. The 62nd round draft choice as a favor. He definitely will go down as a Dodger in my book.

Maybe I'm wrong but the fact remains that you don't want the Mets to have anything. :-b

True about the Mets thing, but I still consider Piazza a Dodger. :-)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed May 21, 2008 11:50 pm

I was a huge Piazza fan. A great story (there isn't even a 62nd round anymore) and a good guy. I will miss watching him.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby neoforce » Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 am

How about this thought: Assuming Clemens doesn't pitch this year (and that seems like a reasonable assumption) Clemens and Piazza could be inducted in the HOF at the same time. :-o

Imagine that induction day!! 8-o

Of course, with Clemens Steroids issue, he might not get in for a while avoiding the situation.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby decoy562 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:44 am

Amazinz wrote:Piazza is definitely going into the Hall as a Met.

When you think Piazza you think Mets. Unless you're a Dodgers fan or a hater (like Rump :-D).

The 9/11 Home Run is one of the greatest moments in Mets history.

Did you guys read his announcement letter? Very nice. LINK

Mike Piazza wrote:Last but certainly not least, I can’t say goodbye without thanking the fans. I can’t recall a time in my career where I didn’t feel embraced by all of you. Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and Miami - whether it was at home or on the road, you were all so supportive over the years. But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn’t have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

So today, I walk away with no regrets. I knew this day was coming and over the last two years, I started to make my peace with it. For 19 years, I gave it my all and left everything on the field.

God bless and thanks for a wonderful ride.

:,-(

I liked how he thanked the Miami fans for their support for the 5 whole games he played for the Marlins, LOL
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers