Mike Piazza Announces Retirement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Piazza Announces Retirement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Piazza Announces Retirement

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 20, 2008 5:27 pm

So thats why he hasn't gotten me any points this year :)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 20, 2008 6:12 pm

I just hope he doesn't cry like a baby a la Schmidt when he gets inducted.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 20, 2008 6:23 pm

This guy was one of the only reasons to watch the Mets from the time I entered high school until I graduated college. Took them to their first World Series in over a decade, and was a rock in the lineup. Favorite baseball moment of all-time courtesy of Piazza, as well. My favorite player of all-time. I will definitely be in Cooperstown when he is inducted, hopefully as a Met. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue May 20, 2008 6:24 pm

IVIisfits138 wrote:So does Piazza go into the Hall as a Dodger or a Met? His best years were in LA, but he still put up incredible numbers for the Mets, and also took them to the World Series in 2000.

Obvious bias but like Mike wants, he should go in as a Met. He put up more numbers on the Dodgers but his teams never made it past the NLDS while he was there while he led the Mets to 2 NLCSs and a World Series. I think he's far more memorable as a Met to most baseball fans, not just the Mets fans.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Great career, Mike. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby dorje3 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:This guy was one of the only reasons to watch the Mets from the time I entered high school until I graduated college. Took them to their first World Series in over a decade, and was a rock in the lineup. Favorite baseball moment of all-time courtesy of Piazza, as well. My favorite player of all-time. I will definitely be in Cooperstown when he is inducted, hopefully as a Met. ;-D

As a young kid I watched him play for years as a Duke. Incredible how long he played in albuquerque before making it to the bigs.
Great farm system for a while there...Piazza, Pedro, Ramon, Karros, Cedeno, Hollinsworth just to name a few. I seem to recall a string of 5-6 ROYs comming straight from ABQ to the Dogers (except for Nomo, who arrived fresh out of Japan).
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 pm

dorje3 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This guy was one of the only reasons to watch the Mets from the time I entered high school until I graduated college. Took them to their first World Series in over a decade, and was a rock in the lineup. Favorite baseball moment of all-time courtesy of Piazza, as well. My favorite player of all-time. I will definitely be in Cooperstown when he is inducted, hopefully as a Met. ;-D

As a young kid I watched him play for years as a Duke. Incredible how long he played in albuquerque before making it to the bigs.
Great farm system for a while there...Piazza, Pedro, Ramon, Karros, Cedeno, Hollinsworth just to name a few. I seem to recall a string of 5-6 ROYs comming straight from ABQ to the Dogers (except for Nomo, who arrived fresh out of Japan).

Yeah...Karros, Piazza, Mondesi, Nomo, Hollandsworth...I think that was the string...just going off of memory here...'92-'96 I think.

I'm a Dodger fan so I want him to go in as a Dodger...I know...I'm biased. :-°
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 20, 2008 7:50 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
IVIisfits138 wrote:So does Piazza go into the Hall as a Dodger or a Met? His best years were in LA, but he still put up incredible numbers for the Mets, and also took them to the World Series in 2000.

Obvious bias but like Mike wants, he should go in as a Met. He put up more numbers on the Dodgers but his teams never made it past the NLDS while he was there while he led the Mets to 2 NLCSs and a World Series. I think he's far more memorable as a Met to most baseball fans, not just the Mets fans.

Strange. I mainly will remember him as a Dodger with Lasorda there as his manager. The 62nd round draft choice as a favor. He definitely will go down as a Dodger in my book.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 20, 2008 8:03 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Strange. I mainly will remember him as a Dodger with Lasorda there as his manager. The 62nd round draft choice as a favor. He definitely will go down as a Dodger in my book.

Mike Piazza surely made his footprint with both the Dodgers and Mets, but for me, he should go in as a Dodger, given the old family ties as the clincher. As Tommy Lasorda's godson he got his shot and it turned out to be a feel-good year for my Dodgers. I think he and Karros really kept the Dodgers relevant and of course, they were the building blocks to seeing the Dodgers rise up as a contending force again, along with Raul Mondesi, Hideo Nomo, et. al. I somehow think to myself what could've been had we not pulled the Pedro Martinez trade and if we gave Vlad Guerrero another tryout and we really would've had a special year.

On a side note, I could've sworn Mike Piazza worked on the side at the Pioneer Chicken near my house in 1993 (think I was 10-11 at the time). :-? Growing up, he was one of my favorite Dodgers and I remember really disliking that trade to the Marlins that sent us Sheffield/Bobby Bonilla/Jim Eisenreich/Charles Johnson, fresh off the Rupert Murdoch buyout. Anyway, I don't think us Dodger fans really begrudged the guy when he led the Mets to greater success. Good guy and a great career. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue May 20, 2008 8:20 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but the fact remains that you don't want the Mets to have anything. :-b
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers