Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law

Postby Madison » Tue May 20, 2008 10:15 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Of course an interesting point in this whole thing is ... why now?

Because the slippery slope actually started a long time ago and the country caves to practically any demands nowadays, no matter the cost, how absurd those demands might be, or what the negative long term effect to the country will be (speaking in general, not specifically about this particular story).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wake » Tue May 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I would imagine there would have to be something to easier to do than resizing the different kind of bills. That would probably be the worst approach to fixing the problem.

Even doing something simple like making a small, v-shaped nick on the top of each bill would make it easy to feel what kind of bill it is without having to change ATM's, cash registers, etc.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Wed May 21, 2008 1:26 pm

They could just make more coins, which are different sizes. Like a $5 coin and a $20 coin. As well as producing more $1 coins. But that would be a pain as well.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Keep the same bills and have a machine punch a hole at different locations on the bill for different amounts.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby knapplc » Wed May 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Keep the same bills and have a machine punch a hole at different locations on the bill for different amounts.

What would prevent someone from punching a $5 hole in a $1 bill? That's the problem with anything other than actual size.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 21, 2008 1:43 pm

knapplc wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Keep the same bills and have a machine punch a hole at different locations on the bill for different amounts.

What would prevent someone from punching a $5 hole in a $1 bill? That's the problem with anything other than actual size.

Then the bill would have two holes in it. That should be pretty easy to detect.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Then the bill would have two holes in it. That should be pretty easy to detect.

expect people could rip off blind people by putting extra holes in the bill.

unless of course they made $100 bills have one hole, $50 bills 2, $20 3, ect... I mean who would want to make a bill worth less.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 21, 2008 1:48 pm

thedude wrote:expect people could rip off blind people by putting extra holes in the bill.

unless of course they made $100 bills have one hole, $50 bills 2, $20 3, ect... I mean who would want to make a bill worth less.
My idea was to have only one hole in the bill. The placement on the bill would signify the value. If a bill has more than one hole don't accept it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wake » Wed May 21, 2008 2:06 pm

knapplc wrote:

It would be a lot less likely that a cashier would have a hole punch sitting around in case a blind person walked in though. Right now they'd just have to hand the blind person a $1, tell them it's a $10, and pocket the extra $9.

Honestly, I don't see the point in changing money. If you're blind, you should just use a debit card since they can be used almost anywhere now. Someone can still rip off a blind person who's using a card, but at least there'd be a record of it for them to see later.

Even if they needed to use cash, it wouldn't be too hard to get a system in place. For example, if they carried nothing but $5 bills in their wallet, it would be impossible to be ripped off when they get change back.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk