Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 pm

CNN.com wrote:Court rules paper money unfair to blind
Federal appeals court says Treasury Department is violating the law by keeping dollars the same size and feel.

By Jessica Dickler, CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: May 20, 2008: 11:43 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A federal appeals court Tuesday ruled that the U.S. Treasury Department is violating the law by failing to design and issue currency that is readily distinguishable to blind and visually impaired people.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld a 2006 district court ruling that could force the U.S. to redesign its money so blind people can distinguish between values.

Judge Judith Rogers, in a ruling on a suit by the American Council of the Blind, wrote that the Treasury Department's failure to design and issue paper currency that is readily distinguishable to the visually impaired violates the Rehabilitation Act's guarantee of "meaningful access."

cont.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Appeals Court: Paper Money Breaking the Law

Postby knapplc » Tue May 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Seems like a pretty easy thing for the Treasury to fix. Why don't they just adjust the sizes and not mess around with a court procedure?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue May 20, 2008 3:44 pm

knapplc wrote:Seems like a pretty easy thing for the Treasury to fix. Why don't they just adjust the sizes and not mess around with a court procedure?

Because the costs are huge. Every single bill machine in the country would have to be replaced. All vending machines, ATM's, slot machines, stamp machines, the list goes on and on and that's not even factoring in the cost of producing new bills and destroying the old.

Also, where does it stop?

Do all goods in the country need to be sized and packaged in order to be able to be picked up by someone's teeth (for those who were born without hands or deformed hands)? Really no difference. In both cases, the person in question needs assistance to live their life. Why cater to the blind person, but not the deformed person?

Seems like a slippery slope to me.

We live with the hand we are dealt and move on.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 20, 2008 3:51 pm

yeah...cant they just get debit cards
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue May 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Yep, you're right Mad. I was just thinking of the cost to produce the bills (which wouldn't be that great), but the cost to read all of those bills in those ATMs and soda-pop machines would be astronomical. Didn't even think about that.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue May 20, 2008 5:03 pm

knapplc wrote:Yep, you're right Mad. I was just thinking of the cost to produce the bills (which wouldn't be that great), but the cost to read all of those bills in those ATMs and soda-pop machines would be astronomical. Didn't even think about that.

Just read my post and I seem a bit cold-hearted in it. :-o Oops. So let me clarify a bit, I wouldn't trade my horrible, crappy, awful eyes for anything in the world (other than maybe a loved one's life), no matter how much I may complain about the expense of heavy duty contacts. So for someone to be blind is something I am sympathetic to. Really stinks for them and if there was something I could do for them to be able to see, I'd be happy to. Hopefully at some point technology will be awesome enough to fix problems like this one. ;-D

But I still have to hold to the point that the costs involved on changing all the bill machines would be huge, especially if they went with different size bills for each denomination. Plus it is a slippery slope to travel. :-P
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue May 20, 2008 5:09 pm

This is going to be awful. Different size money in my wallet? That will be extremely annoying. Plus the costs of redesigning everything. I imagine this will be appealed to the US Supreme court.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Half Massed » Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 pm

What other ways could they make different denominations distinguishable, other than changing the bill size? How about adding a raised part over one or two of the numbers that says what it is in braille? I assume that that would be much cheaper, and therefore much more likely to be implemented.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JTWood » Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Half Massed wrote:What other ways could they make different denominations distinguishable, other than changing the bill size? How about adding a raised part over one or two of the numbers that says what it is in braille?

You'd have to print it on cardboard. There's no way that would hold up on paper. :-b

I think the debit/credit option is really the answer. Nearly everything accepts plastic now.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 pm

Of course an interesting point in this whole thing is ... why now?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk