Poor Delmon Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Poor Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Poor Delmon Young

Postby Ursa » Tue May 20, 2008 5:25 pm

jimpage wrote:does anyone else think there is a glaring explanation for delmons dropoff the last few years?...wasnt he mr. super-prospect until right after they started testing for performance enhancing drugs?...i know there are top prospects that flame out all the time, but 59 hrs in just over 1400 MiLB abs compared to 16 hrs in almost 1000 mlb abs is hard to ignore...isnt his body supposed to develop and get stronger from 18 to 22?...he was slugging under .300 a week ago...its also hard to ignore the only pro ball player ive ever seen literally hit an ump with a baseball bat...roid rage perhaps?

There may be something to this - or there may not.

He has started hitting for extra bases a lot better recently (two triples in consecutive games) but he doesn't appear to me to even be thinking of hitting for the fences. I watch a lot of Twins games and I can recall very few if any warning track outs. Almost all his outs are via ground balls, or at least that's my impression.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Roids for Delmon? I really don't think so.

First, from a developmental point of view, he's still young. Not many 22-year olds are in the bigs, much less mashing 40 HRs. His power, if it comes, should really be judged in about 3 years once he starts hitting his mid-20's.

Second, from a franchise perspective, the Metrodome is pretty pitcher-friendly; not many HRs go out. Also, the hitting coach for the Twins also apparently preaches that hitters should use the artificial turf to hit high choppers and get on base that way.

I would say it's too early to judge Delmon's power generally and a real reach to say that he was roiding in the minors.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Meanwhile his replacements on the Rays:

Eric Hinske - 123 AB 8 HR 18 R 21 RBI 3 SB .350 OBP .260 AVG
Gabe Gross - 45 AB 2 HR 5 R 6 RBI 0 SB .244 AVG .400 OBP (Stats since joining Rays)

We also got

Bartlett and Garza

Thanks again Twins
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jimpage » Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 pm

yeah, i realize he's very young and could certainly get stronger, but he did hit 25 hrs as an 18 yr old in A ball i think, then 26 the next year over AA and AAA...so he had developed power at an earlier age than most and now has sorta lost it...i never expected him to be a 40 hr guy, but i figured he would regularly hit 30, and he still could...but its not like he stopped hitting, he's still hitting for decent average, but with little pop...he could certainly become more of a power hitter but im still wondering right now

and i dont know about you, but isnt it more likely than not that a stud player, in the majors or minors, was juicing about 5 years ago?...maybe im a cynic but i tend to believe canseco more than anyone about how many guys were juicing...probably not 80% but a lot
jimpage
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed May 21, 2008 11:51 am

He would've been 17 five years ago. Teenage boys produce so much testosterone naturally that roids is really unnecessary.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:50 am

Prooks25 wrote:Victor Martinez - Projected top 3 Catcher - 130 ABs - 0 HRs

Actually he was projected the #1 catcher in just about every format. Making it even more sad :,-(
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby freeling_prideful » Fri May 23, 2008 1:16 pm

jimpage wrote:yeah, i realize he's very young and could certainly get stronger, but he did hit 25 hrs as an 18 yr old in A ball i think, then 26 the next year over AA and AAA...so he had developed power at an earlier age than most and now has sorta lost it...i never expected him to be a 40 hr guy, but i figured he would regularly hit 30, and he still could...but its not like he stopped hitting, he's still hitting for decent average, but with little pop...he could certainly become more of a power hitter but im still wondering right now

and i dont know about you, but isnt it more likely than not that a stud player, in the majors or minors, was juicing about 5 years ago?...maybe im a cynic but i tend to believe canseco more than anyone about how many guys were juicing...probably not 80% but a lot

Actually the problem might be more innocuous. Young has notoriously poor plate discipline/pitch selection. That was ok in the lower minors where his prodigious physical talent allowed him to still nail weaker pitches out of the park, particularly guys who only really had a decent fastball and no breaking stuff. However, now that he's in the majors and everyone has some sort of offspeed stuff that can challenge him, he is struggling.

In his first 2 years in the majors his GB% was about 46%, indicative of him getting on top of a lot of pitches instead of really driving them or putting backspin on them, which you need to homer. This year it's even worse--he has an atrocious 63% GB (even Juan Pierre is around 55%).

That being said, once he corrects that problem slightly and gets back into the 45% range, we'll start to see a few flyballs get out. I see him finishing with around 15-17 HRs in a late-season power surge.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Carew7 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:54 pm

ya i think its a little premature to say this guy is a dud... be patient... he's had one full year in the bigs...
Carew7
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ursa » Tue May 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Resurrecting this thread, the following appeared in the Minneapolis Star Tribune this morning:

Young and stubborn

Outwardly, the least panicked is Young.

"I couldn’t care less about home runs," he said. "We’re scoring runs without hitting home runs, so it doesn’t really matter if we hit them or not."

The Twins are averaging 4.5 runs per game, entering Monday ranked sixth in the AL, ahead of the Yankees (4.4).

But Young has the Twins perplexed. This is a player who hit 20 home runs in 84 games for Class AA Montgomery in 2005, at age 19, before his power numbers leveled at Class AAA Durham.

Young hit 13 home runs as a rookie for Tampa Bay last year. The Twins were careful not to bombard him with instruction when he first arrived after getting traded from the Rays. But the coaching staff has been urging him to turn on more pitches lately.

During batting practice Sunday in Detroit, Young sent five balls towering over the left-field wall in a span of six swings.

For that brief flash, he abandoned his regular inside-out swing and began turning on the soft tosses from bullpen catcher Nate Dammann.

"It doesn’t really matter," Young said. "Anyone can hit BP balls out."

By game time, Young returns to his comfort zone, looking to take most pitches up the middle or to right field, in a determined effort to keep his swing slump-proof.

"If I get pull-happy," Young said, "you all are going to be wondering why I’m hitting .200."

Young is batting .270 and walking more than last season. After a recent run of doubles and triples, his OPS is .671, ranking 27th among left fielders.

"I would venture to say that no one’s going to be tougher on Delmon Young than Delmon," Smith said. "But he’s 22 years old.

"We’re still excited about having him. I’m looking forward to what he’s going to bring to our lineup this year and in the years to come."

Not looking good for double digit HRs this season.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Wrangor » Tue May 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Delmon will have double digit home runs....you can count on that.
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates