What's the BEST move you've ever made? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the BEST move you've ever made?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's the BEST move you've ever made?

Postby ThatDude » Fri May 23, 2008 12:00 am

I traded Nomar to a Boston fan for ARod straight up many years ago in a keeper league, only to see Nomar miss nearly the entire season the following year. The league has since broken up, but it lasted 4 years after that deal, so I got to enjoy that deal for a while.

I plucked Utley off the WW in a keeper league (in 04 I believe) and he's been my property ever since.

The most recent one was before this season started.

A few weeks before our keeper lists were due, I dealt Manny and Street for Webb. I wouldn't have kept Street, so in my eyes, it was basically Manny for Webb.

Total points accumulated for Webb this year = 265
Total points for Manny & Street this year = 244
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Fri May 23, 2008 12:03 am

The best move I made was signing up for my first season of fantasy baseball 6 or 7 years ago... ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Fri May 23, 2008 12:08 am

fezzik wrote:The best move I made was signing up for my first season of fantasy baseball 6 or 7 years ago... ;-D

And building a SP Voltron. ;-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby fezzik » Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 am

AussieDodger wrote:
fezzik wrote:The best move I made was signing up for my first season of fantasy baseball 6 or 7 years ago... ;-D

And building a SP Voltron. ;-)

That goes without saying aussie...

Patterson was replaced on my roster with Eveland, so...that's turned out well so far.
Prior has had setbacks...most likely won't be relevant, but you never know.
Carpenter is progressing as well as I could have hoped.
Burnett is starting to pitch much better.
RJ is also coming around.

With Verlander, Maine, and G. Smith rounding out my starting staff I should be fine...

With Patterson's demotion the DL Voltron abomination can't be assembled...Patterson can't hit the MLB DL while in the minors. And while I kept him on my team for a while as a source of inspiration, I eventually had to cut him loose. :,-(

You guys are lucky, because as you know...if they had all hit the DL at the same time, the DL Voltron would have spontaneously destroyed my competition. Anyway, I'm really liking my team in that league now...and I'm in first in my other Cafe league, so I must be doing something right so far. :-D

Back on topic, I've made some good moves over the years, but the one that sticks out in my mind was pretty small - D. Moss for M. Clement around the allstar break in a 20 team league...I believe Moss was actually an allstar that year and Clement was sucking, but after the break Clement solidified my pitching and helped me run away with the league...sweetness! I remember it almost got vetoed because everyone thought I was getting screwed over...I had to write on the message board why I was doing the trade. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby WyldStallyn » Fri May 23, 2008 9:27 am

back in 06 in my 5 player keeper i traded crede (who was having a great year) and haren (i think) for utley and aramis. also traded pedro for peavy the week before pedro went to the DL. that worked out very well the next year
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 am

Drafted Mark Prior in my keeper league that has no minor league system before he pitched a single professional game.

Drafted Tim Lincecum in the same keeper league last year.

It's funny to hear the other owners say "who the hell is that?" :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ab » Fri May 23, 2008 11:06 am

[quote="Yoda"]Drafted Mark Prior in my keeper league that has no minor league system before he pitched a single professional game.

It's funny to hear the other owners say "who the hell is that?" :-D[/quote]

Are you seriously in a keeper league where no one knew who Tim Lincecum is? Lincecum went in the first round of our reserve (prospect) draft last year.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 am

ab wrote:
Yoda wrote:Drafted Mark Prior in my keeper league that has no minor league system before he pitched a single professional game.

It's funny to hear the other owners say "who the hell is that?" :-D

Are you seriously in a keeper league where no one knew who Tim Lincecum is? Lincecum went in the first round of our reserve (prospect) draft last year.

We don't have a prospect or minor league system so people don't pay as much attention unless they are ready to make the team out of spring training like Volquez, Cueto, etc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Maybe not my best move, but my favorite move came before the 2004 season. I drafted Nomar early, but I also had A-rod. My outfield was weak, so i traded Nomar for Carlos Beltran. A few weeks later Nomar was on the DL and Beltran was on his way stealing 40 bases, and setting career highs in runs and homers.

I have made other great moves. I grabbed v-mart in the 21st round of a draft (another favorite move of mine because i told all my friends to take him in their drafts and they laughed at me), grabbed Ichiro late in a draft during his rookie year, traded for Johan the year he became a starter full-time. Last year i traded Bill hall and Stephen Drew for BJ Upton in a keeper league.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 pm

2003 - My luckiest trade. In 2003 I was nip n' tuck all season for the championship. Both of us in the top two benefited greatly from dumps, but one of mine turned ridiculous.

I scored Bobby Abreu and Luis Castillo for Hideki Matsui and Scott Hairston (yes, 2003). But to make the deal work under the cap, I had to grit my teeth and accept Brian Anderson (with the Royals then) at $1. Up until that point Anderson's ERA had been 5.40 with a 1.536 WHIP with just 2 W and 13 K's in 41 IP.

As soon as he hit my roster his season changed:
12 W - 3.35 ERA - 1.224 WHIP - 74 K in 156 IP
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers