Favorite M's memory - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Seattle Mariners

Favorite M's memory

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Favorite M's memory

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:18 am

Let's limit this to something you witnessed in person.

My favorite memory was in the early 90's. I went to a game with my mother, which we did quite often. We would get free parking under the viaduct and bring our own food - and they would even allow us to bring in our own drinks back then.

We were playing the A's who were still excellent and I think we were down by a run in the 9th. The A's brought in Eck of course and I started whining that it was over and I wanted to go home. :~( I was an emotional teen at the time so cut me some slack :-D

My mother insisted we stay with some crappy line like "it's still anybody's game" or "it ain't over til it's over!" So I crossed my arms and decided to sit there being pissy. Well lo and behold we scrap together some hits and end up winning on an artificial turf single through the right side by Scott Bradley. ;-D Considering the M's just pulled off an excellent win I had no problem swallowing my pride and apologizing and saying "you were right!"

Yes, I was a dumbass. :-B But what makes it worse is in 1988 I went to take a leak during a certain World Series game thinking "Eck's in - it's over!"

Some people never learn. !+) !+) !+)
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:20 pm

great topic!!!

in person no doubt, although i was actually at the game where edgar hit his double scoring cora from second and griffey on every horse left in him from first. If you don't know the game you don't deserve to have the memory.

My best M's memory was my first game in person. My grandpa took me and the M's lost 10-3 back in like '85, but Jim Presley hit a homerun in the bottom of the ninth in a who cares game, and i just remember my grandpa screaming his lungs out in joy. When i asked why he was so happy they were still down by 7, he looked at me and simply said "who cares!".

I have loved the game everyday eversince.

I know its a little sappy, but hey thats what its all about.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:51 am

I went to Griffey's first game in the Kingdome. I was in the upper deck, and I can remember watching his homerun sail over the left field wall. I knew then we were in for something special. ;-D
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:14 am

Cool memories guys! Your grandpa sounds like a great guy to watch a game with, BG. That reminds me of my very first game where the M's lost, but my fav player, Carlton Fisk, homered for the White Sox.

I think I heard that first Griffey HR on the radio... - then again in the rap "The Way I Swing" by Kid Sensation or something. I think Griffey HR'd in his first major league game too? (road game)
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:45 am

Sticky Spice wrote:I think I heard that first Griffey HR on the radio... - then again in the rap "The Way I Swing" by Kid Sensation or something. I think Griffey HR'd in his first major league game too? (road game)

You are correct. He homered his first game ever, that was on the road, and his first game at the Kingdome.
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:14 am

I was at the 1995 one-game playoff against the Angels, with Randy Johnson up against former Mariner Mark Langston, and I've never been in a crowd that buzzed like that, for the whole game. Every strike Randy threw just increased the volume. When he had two strikes on any batter, you couldn't hear the person next to you.

After they won the game, sending them to the playoffs for the first time, the fans were nuts. Pure, unbridled passion, like no baseball game I'd ever been at before.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby amich1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:10 pm

Saw "stormin'" Gorman Thomas hit a grand slam to tie the game @ 9 in the bottom of the 8th only to watch the M's bullpen implode & give up 5 runs in the top of the 10th. Those were the days!!!!
:-)
I believe that was '87 or '88..... i was 10 or 11 but it was a great in person lesson on the futility of seattle sports...
Saw griffey pull a couple homers back in CF.... pretty cool when you look down on it happening, even in the Kingdome. Of course, those were a dime a dozen back then but still good memories of "the kid"
amich1

Friendliness: %

Postby amich1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:10 pm

Saw "stormin'" Gorman Thomas hit a grand slam to tie the game @ 9 in the bottom of the 8th only to watch the M's bullpen implode & give up 5 runs in the top of the 10th. Those were the days!!!!
:-)
I believe that was '87 or '88..... i was 10 or 11 but it was a great in person lesson on the futility of seattle sports...
Saw griffey pull a couple homers back in CF.... pretty cool when you look down on it happening, even in the Kingdome. Of course, those were a dime a dozen back then but still good memories of "the kid"
amich1

Friendliness: %

Return to Seattle Mariners