Attack of the Septuagenarian Good Samaritans!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Attack of the Septuagenarian Good Samaritans!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Attack of the Septuagenarian Good Samaritans!!!

Postby Half Massed » Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 pm

How can you even stretch this into fitting under "illegal taxi service." I understand that taxis generally have licenses to limit the amount of them, but if someone asks someone else for a ride when that person is not even in a car

The 78-year-old said he was walking into a Winn-Dixie to get some groceries when he was approached by a woman who said she needed a ride.

and they agree, how can that be construed as a taxi service at all? It's not like the guy was cruising around looking for old ladies to drive home. It the law is worded as to allow that interpretation, it's simply a poorly written law.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:29 am

knapplc wrote:Yep, you've diagnosed our problems exactly, Aussie. Just what this country needed, some teenager from nowheresville Australia to fix what ails America. Way to be.

Overreact much? :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby knapplc » Tue May 20, 2008 8:46 am

mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Yep, you've diagnosed our problems exactly, Aussie. Just what this country needed, some teenager from nowheresville Australia to fix what ails America. Way to be.

You felt it was necessary to stir this up 13 hours later? Really?

And you wonder why you got kicked out of GT for a while.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 20, 2008 9:56 am

Madison wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
knapplc wrote:In the course of my life, I've probably changed 10 tires for people on the roadside. I used to haul furniture at a company in a small town outside of Lincoln, and I took the highway home. I'd be dressed in crummy clothes, sweaty and dirty from my work, and many times I'd see a man or woman dressed in their office clothes with a flat on the side of the road. I pulled over and changed their tire for them. Most of the time they wanted to pay me, most of the time I was able to refuse, but some of them insisted and I took the cash ($5 or $10, but one guy gave me $20).

So, does that make me a criminal? Am I running an "illegal roadside repair service" since I have in my life accepted cash from people for doing them a service? According to authorities in Florida, apparently I am.

And here I just thought I was being a nice guy. Little did I know I was a criminal mastermind! ;-7

reminds me of a time i was working for a drugstore and some lady asked if i could jump her car because AAA said it would be like an hour. i did and she gave me a $20 which i tried to refuse. the best part was i was only making like $5/hr at that job and working maybe 4 hour days after school and a little longer on the weekends, so i pretty much got a days pay for 5 minutes of work

Kinda the same here. 16 year old stockboy/bagboy in a tiny grocery store at the time. Jumpstarted a customer's car and when she tried to hand me a folded up $20 (I didn't know it was a $20 at the time or I'd have probably taken it O:-) ) and I told her I couldn't take it, she put it in my car on the driver's seat (car door was open) and told me I dropped it.

Needless to say I thought that was cool. :-D So I'm guilty as well of running a repair service, and I did it out of a grocery store as a front! }:-) :-b :-b I'm still not as big of a criminal mastermind as Knapplc is though. So if any police officers read this, go after him, not me!!!!! Hehe. :-b ;-)

my honesty got the better of me another time though...i found a $100 bill in front of the register and turned it in to the manager. he said they'd keep it in case anyone claimed it and if not turn it into corporate...a few days later i realized he probably just pocketed it after i left his office
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:06 pm

knapplc wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

You felt it was necessary to stir this up 13 hours later? Really?

It's not about me feeling what is necessary or stirring anything up. I'm not on the forums 24/7, so I posted it when I posted it. Seemed to me like you totally overreacted on the guy.

And you wonder why you got kicked out of GT for a while.

Kicked out of GT? You must be thinking of somebody else. I've never been disciplined by this place in my time here, not even one yellow card.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Previous

Return to General Talk