Jeff Clement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jeff Clement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Clement

Postby rcarena » Sun May 18, 2008 11:36 pm

What do you guys think...worth holding on to?

He's back in the minors. Do ya'll think this is a couple weeks deal, or is it longer term (especially with the rumors for junior Griffey)...

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for the guy, but for this year, are we talking a wash?
Points, 14 player keeper
C - Navarro/Flores 1B - Helton/Butler 2B Roberts/Ramirez/Weeks 3B Encarnacion/Gordon SS Tulowitski/Jeter OF Ellsbury/Guerrero/McLouth Damon/CB Young SP Lincecum/Lackey/Shields/Sheets/Danks/R. Johnson Parra/Gallardo RP Nathan/Saito
rcarena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeff Clement

Postby hwiggen » Mon May 19, 2008 12:29 am

I could see him having success later in the year. I saw him play against the White Sox and he looked like a hitter to me although the results don't show it.
Obviously it's a matter of how much bench space you have. A guy with catcher eligibility who can hit always has value. Maybe Seattle waits for him to get his stroke back in the minors and brings him back up in 4 to 6 weeks. They certainly need a DH who can hit.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:32 am

I cut him in a 10 team modified keeper (keep 5) and he cleared waivers. This league is Yahoo, so Clement has very little potential value with a big UTIL tag on him.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shinedog » Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Cut bait and run. he got sent down today:

Read about it here:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/ ... bok19.html
shinedog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sunspot » Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 am

don't be too hasty. Remember the fact that Clement was only a few games away from his contract clock to move another year further. It was odd that they didn't wait, but anyway, what I am trying to say is that they already blew that move and the longer they keep him down in the minors, the dumber the front office looks for calling him up when they did. I know that the front office doesn't like to look stupid. My bet is that they are praying that he starts hitting again right away, so they can call him back up. If he hits good from the get go, he could be back sooner than later. Not much on the catcher waiver wire, so I am going to wait a bit and see how his first week back down goes.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acon44 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Seriously, can anybody explain to me what exactly is wrong with the Mariners???

They called this kid up, who is DESTROYING the ball in AAA and only give him 15 games to prove himself?

Not only do they call him up, but they are dumb enough to do it 1 week early so they ruin his contract for themselves. Then since he doesn't smash right away, which I guess is what every minor league player should do in their eyes, they send him back down. After they send him back down, he continues to make AAA pitchers look like little little kids. He is hitting .366 with 11hrs and 35 rbi and a 1206 ops! How can he possibly prove himself anymore in AAA???

Oh but I forgot, they have a good reason to send him down, because their DH is a proven veteran hitter, Jose Vidro. I mean who wouldn't give their #1 pick an extended shot to DH when you have a 38yr old who is hitting .230 with a 600ops?

I just want to see if anybody can shed some light on this? Is this one of the most absurd cases in a while, or is it only me??

Also why is there so little hype about Clement? All these other guys Bruce, Headley, maybin, rasmus, etc got a lot of hype, and this guy, who was also a first round pick, and is hitting as well as any of them in the minors and will probably have C eligibility gets little to none?
acon44
College Coach
College Coach

Postby alex42083 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:40 pm

acon44 wrote:Seriously, can anybody explain to me what exactly is wrong with the Mariners???

You have an idiot in Bill Bavasi running the team, who has consistently signed terrible FAs to big contracts.

Clement had a lot of pressure when he was brought up since the Ms thought he'd come in right away and hit .300 as a DH, something he's never played. 15 games isn't enough to prove anyone.
Bavasi signed Johjima to a three-year extension so they had to play him to justify it, even though playing Clement at catcher would've made better sense. And I think the games that Clement did play in the field, he started to hit. Then Vidro got healthy, and they felt they had to play him at DH and hence there was no room for Clement and they didn't want him to sit.

It's a poorly run organization in Seattle, and they have no clue what the hell they're doing up there.
alex42083
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acon44 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Ok, I thought maybe there was some kind of legit reason, but I forgot it is the Mariners we are talking about.
acon44
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Yeah he was definitely poorly handled. I guess that the silver lining is that they made up the service time so now they get the extra year out of him. Not sure what they see in Vidro that makes them continue to keep trotting him out, but it's not my call to make. Rumor also has it that the Johjima extension came straight from ownership, so that's one more wrinkle. It's definitely an all-around strange situation. While I don't think Clement's glove is ready to be the full-time catcher, he really doesn't have anything left to prove in AAA... You guys are right though, it's a very poorly run organization at the moment, with the exception of the scouting/draft department. :-/

Here's to hoping they realize that the season is shot and bring him back to let him learn how to hit big league pitching. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jdsun1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:28 pm

He is still destrpying AAA pitching even after he got sent back down. I don't see how he cannot be given another chance at sometime this year.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates