colon.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

colon..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

colon..

Postby eemash » Sun May 18, 2008 10:47 pm

what do you guys tihnk of colon and is getting called up. He hit 95 mph in his last AAA start. Can we count on Colon for 20 starts? What happens when Schilling returns. Just post your thoughts on him for the rest of the year.
eemash
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: colon..

Postby Philliebuster » Sun May 18, 2008 11:05 pm

I need him to become Jake Peavy, hopefully only for a couple weeks. :-o
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun May 18, 2008 11:29 pm

If healthy, he could be a decent pickup. He's certainly a guy who knows how to pitch to big league hitters. As to the odds of him staying healthy, I would give him about 40% to make 20 starts. As to Schilling, IMO there is a strong chance he won't pitch this year. He was listed as 4-6 months in March. He chose to rehab, so the underlying injury is still there. He just looks to be a mess.

So, for a high end optimistic Colon projection:
19 GS, 9-6, 100 IP, 80 K, 24 BB, 4.75 ERA.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:If healthy, he could be a decent pickup. He's certainly a guy who knows how to pitch to big league hitters. As to the odds of him staying healthy, I would give him about 40% to make 20 starts. As to Schilling, IMO there is a strong chance he won't pitch this year. He was listed as 4-6 months in March. He chose to rehab, so the underlying injury is still there. He just looks to be a mess.

So, for a high end optimistic Colon projection:
19 GS, 9-6, 100 IP, 80 K, 24 BB, 4.75 ERA.

That's not optimistic. That's a pretty crappy pitcher. I'd say that pitcher should only be owned in leagues with over 14 teams. Even then, Idk.

I'd say an optimistic but possible prediction.

18 GS 9-6 115 IP 100 K 3.75 ERA 1.30 WHIP

I'm thinking this is a possibility, besides maybe hte K's I'm too hopeful for. i'd say he's a must add if you have the room.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Morel Orel » Mon May 19, 2008 12:56 am

My sweet sigs got the boot...
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Mon May 19, 2008 9:19 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:That's not optimistic. That's a pretty crappy pitcher. I'd say that pitcher should only be owned in leagues with over 14 teams. Even then, Idk.

I'm thinking this is a possibility, besides maybe hte K's I'm too hopeful for. i'd say he's a must add if you have the room.

Judging by his numbers over his last two partial seasons, I think that my prediction is optimistic. I never said that that projection reflected a "must own" fantasy pitcher. Lets look at his numbers:

2007: 18 GS, 99 IP, 6-8, 76 K, 29 BB, 6.34 ERA

2006: 10 GS, 56 IP, 1-5, 31 K, 11 BB, 5.11 ERA

So what is decent about owning Colon, IMO, is that he will give you a fair amount of wins over the games he states (9 out of 19 or 20) as a result of playing for Boston. He will also K more than your average WW pitcher. So, relative to the rest of the crap floating around the WW, Colon has enough positive externalities that he should be considered a decent pickup at this point. If you have the room, in other words, go ahead and pick him up and hope for the best. The key difference between my projection and your projection is that mine is based on past performance and a realistic assessment of Colon's health. Over his past four seasons, which include two fully healthy years, Colon's ERA is 4.68. What makes you so confident that he can get it down to 3.75 playing in the AL East? His CAREER ERA is 4.10. Regardless, Colon is a decent pickup. But he is far from a "must own", reflected by that fact that he's on less than 5% of ESPN rosters. There is a difference between being optimistic and being unrealistic.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon May 19, 2008 3:34 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:That's not optimistic. That's a pretty crappy pitcher. I'd say that pitcher should only be owned in leagues with over 14 teams. Even then, Idk.

Judging by his numbers over his last two partial seasons, I think that my prediction is optimistic. I never said that that projection reflected a "must own" fantasy pitcher. Lets look at his numbers:

2007: 18 GS, 99 IP, 6-8, 76 K, 29 BB, 6.34 ERA

2006: 10 GS, 56 IP, 1-5, 31 K, 11 BB, 5.11 ERA

So what is decent about owning Colon, IMO, is that he will give you a fair amount of wins over the games he states (9 out of 19 or 20) as a result of playing for Boston. He will also K more than your average WW pitcher. So, relative to the rest of the crap floating around the WW, Colon has enough positive externalities that he should be considered a decent pickup at this point. If you have the room, in other words, go ahead and pick him up and hope for the best. The key difference between my projection and your projection is that mine is based on past performance and a realistic assessment of Colon's health. Over his past four seasons, which include two fully healthy years, Colon's ERA is 4.68. What makes you so confident that he can get it down to 3.75 playing in the AL East? His CAREER ERA is 4.10. Regardless, Colon is a decent pickup. But he is far from a "must own", reflected by that fact that he's on less than 5% of ESPN rosters. There is a difference between being optimistic and being unrealistic.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates