Matt Cain, time to drop? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Cain, time to drop?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Cain, time to drop?

Postby Lordrevolution » Sun May 18, 2008 10:47 pm

He's been sitting on my bench for weeks, and after today's blow up I can't see any reason to tote his bloated ERA and WHIP any more. I know people were expecting him to break out eventually, but with a complete absence of offense in SF I don't see it being possible.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Cain, time to drop?

Postby Philliebuster » Sun May 18, 2008 11:07 pm

I wouldn't until I definitely found out that there is no chance he will be traded by the Giants. Even if I found that out, don't think i'd drop Cain, cept maybe for a 10 teamer or less.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun May 18, 2008 11:19 pm

He's been awful in two consecutive first halves and then good in both second halves. I thought he was over his first half struggles by cutting back on his walks in the second half of '07, I was wrong, but I still wouldn't cut anybody that talented.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Cabby » Sun May 18, 2008 11:45 pm

2 of the HR's he gave up tonight just barely made it out, they carried so much. Cabrera was actually disgusted with one of his HR, he thought he missed it but it just carried out. I am getting this from someone in another forum. I'm in a keeper so I am holding onto him and I am hoping he turns it around, his start earlier this week was actually quite good. I am finding that the Giants are leaving him in games too long also. I hope he turns it around though, he has been shaky by times but you might regret dropping him.
Cabby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Seriously?

He's pitched very well since his 9 run game last month, and has a great track record over the last 2 seasons.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Deuce » Mon May 19, 2008 1:03 am

He's only 23 and he's got great stuff. He's definetly a keeper. Three days after you drop him, he's on someone else's roster. No question.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Relentless » Mon May 19, 2008 2:28 am

Cabby wrote:2 of the HR's he gave up tonight just barely made it out, they carried so much. Cabrera was actually disgusted with one of his HR, he thought he missed it but it just carried out. I am getting this from someone in another forum. I'm in a keeper so I am holding onto him and I am hoping he turns it around, his start earlier this week was actually quite good. I am finding that the Giants are leaving him in games too long also. I hope he turns it around though, he has been shaky by times but you might regret dropping him.

This guy explains it all. He was actually pitching a no-hitter through the 5th as I can remember watching the game (he was blowing everybody, even threw two 99 mph 4-seamers). Then suddenly, every fly ball that was hit just started to carry. BTW, the wind was also blowing out to left field, in which all the homeruns came from. In a regular day, those balls would be out.

If you're thinking of dropping this guy, then think again.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Mon May 19, 2008 2:49 am

Drop him? Heck, Cain was on my do not draft list. Sure, he shows flashes of brilliance, but with his history of erraticism, his general lucklessness, and that flaccid Giants offense, what's to like?

I know Cain is or can be a good to great pitcher -- living in S.F., I've seen plenty of his efforts -- but I just don't see him helping any fantasy manager win a trophy anytime soon. :-/
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby AllDay » Mon May 19, 2008 2:54 am

Depends on who you are dropping him for and what the rest of your staff looks like.

Someone will probably grab him - especially if he has a nice start or two. I wouldn't suggest a knee jerk cut just beause he had a bad day.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Mon May 19, 2008 2:56 am

He had a no hitter coming into the 5th. He was DEALIN!! Then he gave up the HR's. The wind was blowing out big time. O Cab threw his bat in disgust after he hit his first HR, cuz it looked like a lazy flay ball. It just kept carrying out.

Anyways, this guy has elite stuff, he just needs to put it all together. When he's on, he's unhittable!! I would not drop him in all but the shallowest leagues!! Too much talent to be dropped. He does walk too many hitters.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers