It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 25, 2008 12:25 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Not sure if this is just a hot streak for Bay, but considering he was dumped in one of my leagues about a month ago and got him off a #6 waiver, more power if he does return to top 15-20 form.

I think people around these parts would settle for 75-100. He'll never be top 20 again.

I doubt it too, but as I said, I'll be happy with a .270, 30-35 HR campaign out of Bay. If you own Bay, I'd probably recommend that you shop him while he's in good form.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 25, 2008 12:56 am

LostInTheSauce wrote:
Yeah he's taken the next step and that step was backwards. How can you post those stats, and ignore last years?

I didnt ignore anything. I stated in my post that he was hurt last year. The 2 years before that he was as good of an outfielder as you could find. The guys is a stud! I dont get all this 40 homer talk either as if you cant be considered elite unless you hit 40 homers. I can think of a ton of guys who are or were considered elite at there position who never hit 40 homers.

I say he easily is a top 15 this year and anyone who would make the statement that he never will be again is silly.

His upside is as a top 15-20 OF, and TheAD's comment was meant as an overall top 15-20 (I believe anyway, and that's what I meant if that's not what AD meant). Anyone who says it's silly to say that he will never again be a top 15-20 overall player is a good deal more than silly.

Anything is, of course, possible, but I don't see a total career renaissance on the horizon, just a patented Jason Bay mini-hot streak, which he put up even when he was merely top 40ish.

I flipped him along with Fukudome for Corey Hart and Joe Blow, so I'm no longer invested, so you're welcome to accuse me of bias.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:22 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Not sure if this is just a hot streak for Bay, but considering he was dumped in one of my leagues about a month ago and got him off a #6 waiver, more power if he does return to top 15-20 form.

I think people around these parts would settle for 75-100. He'll never be top 20 again.

I doubt it too, but as I said, I'll be happy with a .270, 30-35 HR campaign out of Bay. If you own Bay, I'd probably recommend that you shop him while he's in good form.

I agree with your predictions but I still see upside in Bay. He may not be a top 15 player again, but with the support of Mclouth in the lineup I could see Bay returning to a top 30 player. He's never had the support of another potential power hitter like that of Mclouth. Not to mention the Pirates are actually playing like a pretty solid team. A 280 35-100-100 with 15 sb's season isn't out of the question.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AllDay » Sun May 25, 2008 6:33 am

I would be disappointed if he were a top 75-100 player. He has much more potential than that.

Top 25 so far on Yahoo! - and this during a discussion about when he takes the next step.

Top 15-20 doesn't sound so silly any more.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 25, 2008 2:09 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I think people around these parts would settle for 75-100. He'll never be top 20 again.

I agree with your predictions but I still see upside in Bay. He may not be a top 15 player again, but with the support of Mclouth in the lineup I could see Bay returning to a top 30 player. He's never had the support of another potential power hitter like that of Mclouth. Not to mention the Pirates are actually playing like a pretty solid team. A 280 35-100-100 with 15 sb's season isn't out of the question.

Yeah, I think that's my point. Bay would be worth the 6th-7th round pick if he posts .270-280, 35 HR, but also because he could have some additional upside based off '04-06 to suggest he can marginally improve from the best conservative projection. Do I have doubts that he keeps this up? Sure, but I think what's most encouraging is that he's the healthiest he has been in quite some time. Again, I'll still be really content with .270, 35 HR, being burned as a Bay owner last season and knowing I got him off waivers this year at no contest.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby tmlfan4ever » Sun May 25, 2008 9:02 pm

The only thing holding back him value right now is the lack of RBI which I don't believe is really his fault. Otherwise, a .280ish average, 12 homers and 5 steals puts him on pace for a 30+HR 15+SB season which, considering where he was drafted in 2008, is HUGE value.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers