It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Postby mweir145 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:34 am

sportsaddict wrote:Remember a few years ago when Jason Bay was a budding star? We thought he would be an elite outfielder in the National League. I assumed he would take that next step, and turn into a guy that could hit 40 homers a year, drive in 115-120 runs, and steal 15-20 bases.

It looks like he's just never going to get there. Anyone think there's a chance he could even revert to his old form? He has hit for some nice power this year but he just doesn't drive in runs and is hitting for a very poor average.

I will always remember his insane streak a few years ago, though. 10 HR in 10 games in May of 2006!

Bay has a career .890 OPS, with an .882 OPS at the moment. No, he probably isn't getting any better at this point, but he's basically a star.

I actually owned Bay in my keeper league a few years ago...and I never really thought he would steal 15-20 bases consistently or hit 40 HR.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 19, 2008 5:45 am

The guy is taking a ton of walks right now. .132 OBA despite performing lower in both AVG and SLG than career numbers indicate -- that's keeping the OPS afloat right now. He's swiped 4 bags so far, so 15 isn't out of the question, given that he's yet to be caught; so he's ran just once less than all of last season. If he's under performing given pre-season expectations for anybody right now with 9 HR, I am really wondering what people were looking for after last year's performance. I'll gladly take .275, 30, 90 out of a guy who I didn't think could do that any longer.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby jorwoods » Mon May 19, 2008 5:49 pm

I got him as an FA a couple weeks ago in a 12 team mixed league right before he put together a couple very nice games. Will I take 30 HR - 90 RBI from my #3 OF? Absolutely! ;-D
^^thanks to Snakes Gould!
jorwoods
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swyck » Mon May 19, 2008 7:02 pm

LostInTheSauce wrote:I dont get any of this post. Setting aside last year where he was hurt, he has produced seasons of

2005 .305 32 101 110 with 21 SB and 95 BB :-o
2006 .286 35 109 101 with 11 SB 102 BB :-o :-o

So for the people saying he hasnt taken the next step I call BS. Those numbers are without a doubt number 1 outfielder material. No steps need to be taken. Hes already at the next level. All of that while playing on quite possibly the worst team in baseball. And for the people talking about this year. You got to be kidding. The guy is having an excellent year. His average is a little low and RBI total too, but he is showing all the signs that he is back at a top level. Considering this was a year where you could get him for a pack of twizzlers you have to be happy with J Bay. I see him getting traded to a contender soon and putting on a Beltran in Houston type display. In any decent lineup this guy would be a MONSTER!

Yeah he's taken the next step and that step was backwards. How can you post those stats, and ignore last years?
2007 .247 21 78 84 with 4 sb and 58 bb :/
This year his HRs and Rs are back nicely but he's hitting .258 and is on a 72 rbi pace. Blame his team if you want but his team also sucked in 2005 and 2006.

Sorry, this guy is not a fantasy star right now, though in real baseball he'd do fine with most teams. He's not anywhere near back to the top level
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Field » Mon May 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Well there's a few things that prevented him from being a true "superstar".

1) Playing for the Pittsburg Pirates

2) Knee injuries

3) He's more of a line drive hitter than a power hitter

I don't think he ever projected to be a 40 HR player, more like the best player on a mediocre team. I'm not knocking him at all by making that comment, it's just the truth. He was/is a nice player, he just doesn't have the skill set to play at an elite level.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby brock middlebrook » Mon May 19, 2008 8:29 pm

It'd be nice to see him in Cleveland.

They could probably get Laffey or something for him
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby damnitman » Sun May 25, 2008 12:03 am

He seems to be stepping forward...
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 25, 2008 12:15 am

Not sure if this is just a hot streak for Bay, but considering he was dumped in one of my leagues about a month ago and got him off a #6 waiver, more power if he does return to top 15-20 form.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 25, 2008 12:21 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Not sure if this is just a hot streak for Bay, but considering he was dumped in one of my leagues about a month ago and got him off a #6 waiver, more power if he does return to top 15-20 form.

I think people around these parts would settle for 75-100. He'll never be top 20 again.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby LostInTheSauce » Sun May 25, 2008 12:25 am

Yeah he's taken the next step and that step was backwards. How can you post those stats, and ignore last years?

I didnt ignore anything. I stated in my post that he was hurt last year. The 2 years before that he was as good of an outfielder as you could find. The guys is a stud! I dont get all this 40 homer talk either as if you cant be considered elite unless you hit 40 homers. I can think of a ton of guys who are or were considered elite at there position who never hit 40 homers.

I say he easily is a top 15 this year and anyone who would make the statement that he never will be again is silly.
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers