It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Postby sportsaddict » Sun May 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Remember a few years ago when Jason Bay was a budding star? We thought he would be an elite outfielder in the National League. I assumed he would take that next step, and turn into a guy that could hit 40 homers a year, drive in 115-120 runs, and steal 15-20 bases.

It looks like he's just never going to get there. Anyone think there's a chance he could even revert to his old form? He has hit for some nice power this year but he just doesn't drive in runs and is hitting for a very poor average.

I will always remember his insane streak a few years ago, though. 10 HR in 10 games in May of 2006!
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: It seems Jason Bay will never take that next step...

Postby Philliebuster » Sun May 18, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm not complaining about his production this year. He's on pace for 35 hr's and 130 walks.

After last season how could one complain about Bays production thus far? Well maybe you aren't complaining, but I don't expect an elite stats from Bay, but i'll be more than happy if he keeps up his current production.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 18, 2008 2:34 pm

I picked Bay off waivers in one league (I was kind of surprised to see that I got him with a #6 waiver, which shows what kind of confidence some owners have in Bay). Seems like the knee is holding up fine, but some would suggest his average was somewhat fluky in his '05 and '06 years. I wouldn't complain with a .270 BA, 30-35 HR year though. That's decent production for a 7th/8th round pick.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Given where I got Bay, I'm fine with his production right now. He isn't an elite OF, but he's doing pretty well.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brock middlebrook » Sun May 18, 2008 3:56 pm

I think pitchers got a chance to adjust to him.

He's a .270 30 90 guy....
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:36 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Remember a few years ago when Jason Bay was a budding star? We thought he would be an elite outfielder in the National League. I assumed he would take that next step, and turn into a guy that could hit 40 homers a year, drive in 115-120 runs, and steal 15-20 bases.

It looks like he's just never going to get there. Anyone think there's a chance he could even revert to his old form? He has hit for some nice power this year but he just doesn't drive in runs and is hitting for a very poor average.

I will always remember his insane streak a few years ago, though. 10 HR in 10 games in May of 2006!

Jason Bay is more of a line drive hitter. To expect 40 Hrs from him was just silly optimism. If you remember a couple years back he participated in the homerun derby and didn't hit one. Not that the homerun derby is a good indicator of 40 Hr potential, but you get the idea...

At this point in his career I'd say he's a solid number 2 outfielder with some decent upside left in the tank...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun May 18, 2008 9:18 pm

He put a couple of balls on the warning track in LF at Wrigley yesterday that sounded big coming off his bat but died out. The wind was a bit odd, blowing from left to right for the first one and then blowing in so that didn't help but it looked like he got most of them and they just didn't get out so the 40HR power seemed to be out.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Sun May 18, 2008 9:21 pm

Yeah, odd timing for this post. Bay is out performing his draft position this year, and should be out performing your expectations for him. If you picked him up assuming you were getting Bay at his absolute best...well, maybe you're not paying enough attention to recent history.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LostInTheSauce » Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 pm

I dont get any of this post. Setting aside last year where he was hurt, he has produced seasons of

2005 .305 32 101 110 with 21 SB and 95 BB :-o
2006 .286 35 109 101 with 11 SB 102 BB :-o :-o

So for the people saying he hasnt taken the next step I call BS. Those numbers are without a doubt number 1 outfielder material. No steps need to be taken. Hes already at the next level. All of that while playing on quite possibly the worst team in baseball. And for the people talking about this year. You got to be kidding. The guy is having an excellent year. His average is a little low and RBI total too, but he is showing all the signs that he is back at a top level. Considering this was a year where you could get him for a pack of twizzlers you have to be happy with J Bay. I see him getting traded to a contender soon and putting on a Beltran in Houston type display. In any decent lineup this guy would be a MONSTER!
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AllDay » Mon May 19, 2008 2:16 am

He's been quietly solid so far - but he hasn't had a really nice stretch of games in awhile. The RBI's have been scarce so far this year.

He does need to find a groove at some point. I still think he is a solid player but I agree I was expecting more production the past couple seasons.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers