Holliday, Atkins and Fuentes to CLE? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Holliday, Atkins and Fuentes to CLE?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Holliday, Atkins and Fuentes to CLE?

Postby ROC AllStars » Sun May 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:If that happens, Cleveland will have a roster to rival detroit.

The theoretical Detroit lineup, anyhow. I really doubt this deal will happen. At a very basic level, I'm not sure it makes sense for Colorado to start rebuilding less than a year removed from the World Series. And like others said, I'm not sure that any team in baseball has the farm system to pull this deal off.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Sun May 18, 2008 4:59 pm

I have all 3 of those guys on one of my teams :-o

(I highly doubt that's going to happen though...)
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun May 18, 2008 5:19 pm

I could see how that would be a good fit for CLE for sure, but (a) that's a lot to afford and (b) that would sink Colorado unless they're getting some major substance back in return.

As a White Sox fan I would not like to see that happen.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun May 18, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm guessing Cliff Lee is the one going back right? :-b
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun May 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Assuming Holliday gets dealt at some point this year, his value takes a relatively big hit, does it not?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sun May 18, 2008 6:59 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Assuming Holliday gets dealt at some point this year, his value takes a relatively big hit, does it not?

I would say so, his home/away splits show that he's not really an elite player away from Coors. I own Holliday and I have been thinking of trying to deal him in case he gets traded :-o
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 pm

These trade rumors are starting to get a bit ridiculous now. :-t So the Rockies are going to send away their two best hitters and their closer one year removed from a World Series birth? One Rosenthal article and suddenly Matt Holliday is on the block, even though there have been no indications that is the case and it's pure speculation that he could be available this summer.

I'm not saying none of those guys will be traded, but I sincerely doubt that all three will be dealt in a package like that, if at all.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snacks » Mon May 19, 2008 10:33 am

There is actually a lot of talk here in Denver about Holliday getting moved. And no one's happy about it. But remember, all season last year, literally everyday there was a new story about an impending Atkins/Fuentes trade... However, I think that the Monforts (#*^*@!*&^#) might seriously trade Holliday because there is just NO WAY they are going to spend the sort of money that Holliday wants. And as everyone said last year, Ian Stewart is just waiting for Atkins to get traded. Here's the article that Fanball got the info from:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/15/ringolsby-could-holliday-be-on-trade-block/
Written by Tracey Ringolsby who is a Rockies insider - but who's also been wrong a few times before. He compares the Holliday Situation to the Teixeira situation last year - and the disturbing part is that they both have Scott Boras as Agents. I smell trade. And Rockies fans may finally revolt against the Monforts, who were saved by last years amazing late season run.

Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sammy_D » Mon May 19, 2008 10:47 am

First off, everyone is missing the AND/OR part of the article. If Cleveland does make a trade, I highly doubt it will be for all 3 players. What I could see happening is a Holliday and Fuentes deal, since Cleveland really does need a closer and Colorado won't be able to afford Holliday.

I could then see Atkins being dealt in a seperate deal, perhaps even to the Angels, allowing them to then play Figgins at 2B since Kendrick can't seem to stay healthy. Anyway, the article simply states perhaps a combination of the 3 players mentioned, not necessarily all 3.
Sammy_D
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Snacks » Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 am

Sammy_D wrote:First off, everyone is missing the AND/OR part of the article. If Cleveland does make a trade, I highly doubt it will be for all 3 players. What I could see happening is a Holliday and Fuentes deal, since Cleveland really does need a closer and Colorado won't be able to afford Holliday.

I could then see Atkins being dealt in a seperate deal, perhaps even to the Angels, allowing them to then play Figgins at 2B since Kendrick can't seem to stay healthy. Anyway, the article simply states perhaps a combination of the 3 players mentioned, not necessarily all 3.

I agree, that makes the most sense - but Atkins to the Angels has been in works for 14 months!
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates