Top middle relievers to help with ratios - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top middle relievers to help with ratios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top middle relievers to help with ratios

Postby hot4tx » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:12 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:H2H leagues don't see much value from these guys, as they just fill roster spots and reduce the max IP you can get if you're trying to catchup in K's during the week

Even in HTH leagues with no IP max, a couple quality MRPs tend to stabilize your ratios. An 80 IP guy will average just over 3 IP per week. Two of those guys gives you one good 5-7 IP start per week that can help make up for bad starts or push your ratios over the edge when it's close. Plus most of these MRPs get at most 1-2 less K's per week than a #5+ starter and 0.25 less Ws per week and they also have chances for vulture saves or to become the closer at some point.

So even in most HTH they are valuable vs #5/6 (or worse) starters as they only slightly under perform in Ks and Ws and greatly outperform in Whip and ERA plus many have the built in closer-in-waiting value.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:10 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:The two headed monster of Bell/Wheeler has been amazing for me this year.

To think, this could have been the two headed monster leading up to Wagner in the Mets bullpen :-t

Hindsight is 20/20. I remember being thrilled that we dumped Bell.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:The two headed monster of Bell/Wheeler has been amazing for me this year.

To think, this could have been the two headed monster leading up to Wagner in the Mets bullpen :-t

Hindsight is 20/20. I remember being thrilled that we dumped Bell.

I wasn't. I knew Bell had skills (just look at his minor league numbers). I also knew that Ben Johnson and John Adkins didn't.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby j24jags » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:41 pm

redstorm41 wrote:Another name to mention: Jared Burton of the Reds. 36.1 IP, 40 K, 9.9 K/9 IP , 3.64:1 K:BB ratio, 2.48 ERA, 1.26 WHIP. If your looking for some relief, Burton is a good one to keep an eye on.

I was going to ask about Burton, he's really caught my eye. His numbers this year are great, his ERA is 2nd on the team (only behind Volquez). His K/9 and K/BB are both great. He is 27 years old, his debut was last season and in 43 innings he had 36 Ks, a 2.51 ERA, and a 1.16 WHIP. what can Reds fans tell us about him?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jwbseven » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:57 pm

hot4tx wrote:
tinfoilxtouch wrote:H2H leagues don't see much value from these guys, as they just fill roster spots and reduce the max IP you can get if you're trying to catchup in K's during the week

Even in HTH leagues with no IP max, a couple quality MRPs tend to stabilize your ratios. An 80 IP guy will average just over 3 IP per week. Two of those guys gives you one good 5-7 IP start per week that can help make up for bad starts or push your ratios over the edge when it's close. Plus most of these MRPs get at most 1-2 less K's per week than a #5+ starter and 0.25 less Ws per week and they also have chances for vulture saves or to become the closer at some point.

So even in most HTH they are valuable vs #5/6 (or worse) starters as they only slightly under perform in Ks and Ws and greatly outperform in Whip and ERA plus many have the built in closer-in-waiting value.

I typically am anti- middle reliever but you laid your point out very very nicely, I must admit...
jwbseven
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby interchange » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 am

No doubt that many of these guys are quite useful. The problem is, if you look at a year-by-year history of these guys and others, you will see tremendous variability. They pitch so few innings that it's really hard to tell how much luck is involved. Lots of guys have 60-inning stretches of greatness but are mediocre pitchers overall. Since the game of fantasy baseball is projecting who is going to produce in the future, and not who has produced thus far, I consider MRs to have significant risk attached to them.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MrE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Zumaya will be up on Friday and Gonzalez on Wed. Now is the time to pounce in leagues with holds/middle relief stats.
- MrE -
MrE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers