Top middle relievers to help with ratios - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top middle relievers to help with ratios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top middle relievers to help with ratios

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I disagree. Quality 8th innings guys have saved my a__ constantly this year. I play in deeper leagues though so the SP pickings aren't as bountiful.

You've been lucky ;-)

The depth of league is irrelevant. The deeper the league the smaller the pool of decent SP options but also less of chance of getting MR's for a song. Standard leagues you can get anyone not named Marmol in the last few rounds.

If we did some research on this using cafe members leagues the futility of using MR's instead of SP's would become apparent.

In leagues that are deeper than standard ones, I'd rather grab 2-3 solid MRs over streaming guys like Carlos Silva.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I disagree. Quality 8th innings guys have saved my a__ constantly this year. I play in deeper leagues though so the SP pickings aren't as bountiful.

You've been lucky ;-)

The depth of league is irrelevant. The deeper the league the smaller the pool of decent SP options but also less of chance of getting MR's for a song. Standard leagues you can get anyone not named Marmol in the last few rounds.

If we did some research on this using cafe members leagues the futility of using MR's instead of SP's would become apparent.

In leagues that are deeper than standard ones, I'd rather grab 2-3 solid MRs over streaming guys like Carlos Silva.

So would I but I guarantee there is better available than Carlos Silva.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:26 am

I'd have to agree with Polo here. In really deep leagues (either 20+ teamers or AL/NL Only), you can usually find a couple decent MRs within a couple months if you cycle through a bunch. These guys aren't really being used for ratio "help" (although they usually help a little if you find the right ones). They are being used more as ratio "sustainers". What they do is enable a team to fill out its' IP without killing the ratios, while picking up a few Ks and a few Ws. In these type of deep leagues, I find it nearly impossible to stream guys and get any decent results. (either I'm streaming rookies like Eric Hurley, or proven bums like Silva or Jarrod Washburn)

The reason that I can find MRs with decent ratios, yet I can't stream starters and get any decent ratios out of it, is that relieving is much easier than starting. There are many more RP with decent ratios than there are SP with decent ratios.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby cards05 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 am

NZ Eff wrote:

You've been lucky ;-)

I would very much disagree with this. I'd bet the proposed research would prove otherwise. Of course, this debate is extremely influenced by league settings (especially IP limits). But to unequivocally state that using middle relievers is an exercise of futility is silly.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby redstorm41 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:15 am

Another name to mention: Jared Burton of the Reds. 36.1 IP, 40 K, 9.9 K/9 IP , 3.64:1 K:BB ratio, 2.48 ERA, 1.26 WHIP. If your looking for some relief, Burton is a good one to keep an eye on.
redstorm41
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:16 am

I think it depends on what sort of league you are in- H2H leagues don't see much value from these guys, as they just fill roster spots and reduce the max IP you can get if you're trying to catchup in K's during the week. In a roto league, they are gold with the IP max.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fezzik » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 am

In the last month...people who I would pick up if I was doing some sort of MR strategy.

Jared Burton
Manny Delcarmen
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:33 am

The two headed monster of Bell/Wheeler has been amazing for me this year.
Broxton has been not as good, but who saw him having a 4+ ERA this deep into the season? No one. Not even the magnificent splendiferous so-called prophet that is NZ Eff. (By the way NZ Eff, the Hurricanes still suck :-D ).
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:32 am

AussieDodger wrote:The two headed monster of Bell/Wheeler has been amazing for me this year.
Broxton has been not as good, but who saw him having a 4+ ERA this deep into the season? No one. Not even the magnificent splendiferous so-called prophet that is NZ Eff. (By the way NZ Eff, the Hurricanes still suck :-D ).

well, in broxton's defense, 9 of those 13 ERs came in two sittings with one of them being 6er in a third of an inning. other than that he's been pretty darn good.

i think this whole thread is pretty well worn territory. there is someone every year who asks something to the extent of "two elite mr = one stud sp?" and the cafe discusses it. my problem with the whole idea is that they burn roster spots you might use on something else, but other than that i find that the elite middle relievers can really help you out in a roto league (IP limit) if you have a decent amount of closers. i find them less useful in h2h, though in '04 i was using ryan, krod, lidge and shields in a h2h league and they helped regulate my ratios.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 am

AussieDodger wrote:The two headed monster of Bell/Wheeler has been amazing for me this year.

To think, this could have been the two headed monster leading up to Wagner in the Mets bullpen :-t
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers