What's the worst move you've ever made? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the worst move you've ever made?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's the worst move you've ever made?

Postby yankeekd25 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:55 am

Dropping Josh Hamilton by mistake this year! I picked him up in the 18th round, pick 173 overall. I wanted to drop a guy to pick up Conor Jackson and by mistake I checked off Hamilton! Someone used their higher WW priority over mine, and now I feel like an idiot. I do have depth at OF to make up for it, but seeing him continuing to mash is killing me. I'm hoping he cools off for a week so I have a chance to get him back.
10 Team H2H 6x6
C- B. Molina
1B- G. Jones (Berkman)
2B- Weeks (Kinsler)
3B- Arod
SS- Tejada
OF- Manny
OF- Ethier
OF- Magglio
Util- Matsui
BN- C Lee
DL- Beltran

SP- King Felix, Wainwright, Verlander, Santana, Hanson, Scherzer
RP- Fuentes, Cordero, Jenks
yankeekd25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NWSoxaholic » Tue May 20, 2008 11:06 am

This year in our draft (8 teams, by the way) I was targeting Soto, and since he was ranked 8th I think and everyone else had drafted their catchers- I figured I'd just get everyone else for the last couple rounds and then pick up Soto with my last pick. Well- my buddy- who really knows nothing about baseball, ends up drafting him as a second catcher (behind Martin). The guy ended up dropping(!) Martin when he was hitting like .150, but my waiver was down the bottom from grabbing Cueto. I had even told him I'd trade for one of the two. Now every friggin' time I see highlights and Soto is tearing it up- I want to punch someone in the face.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri May 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Man, you guys haven't been around long or have short memories...

1999 - My worst trade ever ever ever. I looked at my keeper list and thought, HA! Too expensive! So I shipped Edgar Martinez $26, Darrin Fletcher $3, and Pedro Martinez $30(?) off for Orlando Hernandez $7 and Mike Caruso $3. First, let's look at what I got...

Orlando Hernandez was the next big thing back then and had just come off a 12 win part-season for the Yanks, but for me he was a pretty mediocre 17-game winner with just 25 K's more than he had in 1998 with 70 less IP and his ERA jumped a full point from 3.10 to 4.10.
Mike Caruso, who I'm sure you don't remember, had just come off a season where he his .306 and stole 22 bags. Not bad for a $3 SS. But for me he tanked hitting .250, had 20 less R and RBI, and only stole 12 while being caught 14 times.

Edgar was pretty nice with 24 HR - 86 RBI and R - and a .337 AVG.
Fletcher was a surprise with 18 HR - 80 RBI - and a .291 AVG.
Pedro is what killed me - he went on to win the AL Cy Young
23 W - 2.07 ERA - 0.923 WHIP - 313 K's in 213 IP

Ugh. But the team I traded with didn't even money that year. Well this was the trade that kept on giving. Pedro and Orlando went back into the pool, and Caruso was in AAA in 2000. But Edgar and Fletcher weren't done on their contracts.

Fletcher actually improved by rocking 20 HR and hit an unbelievable .320
Edgar had his CAREER SEASON: 37 HR - 145 RBI - 100 R - .325 AVG

That helped propel them to the 2000 championship...and guess who came in 2nd? DOH!
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Not trading Reyes and Glaus for Hanley and ARam at the end of last April.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers