What's the worst move you've ever made? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the worst move you've ever made?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the worst move you've ever made?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat May 17, 2008 1:54 pm

We've all made mistakes, none of us are invincible. Some of us get wasted and for some reason operate fantasy baseball teams while drunk. Post the most regrettable trade you've made, what year it was, and what part of the season it was in. Or post a regrettable drop you made, like dropping Fielder in April of '07, or a blatantly bad draft pick, like Harden in the 6th round. Mine was:

A-Rod

for

Beltran
Oswalt
Konerko

This was last year, about 2 weeks into the season when A-Rod already had like 10 home runs. I have NO idea what I was thinking, but I was unaware of Oswalt's and Konerko's impending crappiness. Still, even at the time I got crushed in that trade. !+)

And it doesn't count if you traded for a player with legitimate expectations but wound up disappointing. I'm talking about trades and moves where, 5 seconds later, you were frantically scrambling for an "undo" button.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's the worst move you've ever made?

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Dropped Holliday 3 years seasons ago in my money keeper league after he started in a slump that year. Someone else grabbed him and it cost him a 10th rounder to keep him. The round goes down every year you keep him, but still a great value every year
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Sat May 17, 2008 2:01 pm

February '07,

Corey Hart and Jonathan Papelbon

for SS eligible Troy Glaus.

Doh :-C
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Last year, I traded Jimmy Rollins & Adrian Gonzalez for Lance Berkman & Julio Lugo, thinking I was selling high on Rollins' good start. Also, later that year, I dealt Sabathia/Harang/V. Wells for Manny/C. Zambrano/Lilly. I still hung onto Berkman for his big-time 2nd half and picked up Troy Tulowitzki to make up for the blunder, on the way to the championship. Even though Manny was a non-factor in the playoffs, Wells wasn't getting off the mark either and thankfully Zambrano was decent enough to make good down the stretch. Still, lost out on that deal in dealing my two of my best aces (I had some depth in pitching), thinking Manny was going to be a real game changer.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby seniorpaul » Sat May 17, 2008 2:17 pm

In Aug 06 i traded Pujols away in a keeper league. At the time it looked like i was getting GREAT value for him, but in hindsight, it set my team WAAAAAY back. I traded Pujols, A.Rios, B.Phillips, J.Verlander and F.Garcia for Teixeira, Delgado, Peavy, Isringhausen, Randy Johnson and Podsednik.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat May 17, 2008 2:28 pm

I didn't draft Cole Hamels.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Philly_05 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Worse move I would probably have to say trading away Braun before the start of last year for Gagne. I had gotten Braun as a throw in for a trade so I guess that guy feels kinda silly also. Though Braun came back to earth a bit this year so far I would have to say that was the worse move I have ever made. Some questionable choices were trading away Hamels, Verlander, Gallardo, and Wright. Even though I did get very good value for Wright I probably should have kept him. Verlander has been god awful so I don't feel so bad about that now. Gallardo is hurt for the entire year so not so bad at the moment. Hamels about two-three years ago for Nathan probably wasn't a good idea. Trading young talented pitchers for relief pitchers doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth after the fact.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 635)

Postby LostInTheSauce » Sat May 17, 2008 2:36 pm

A few years back when Morneau won the MVP. I drafted him and Helton and needed a spot to pick up a pitcher. Dropped Morneau 2 weeks into the season. And we all know what he did that year. Helton sucked the first half but did hit like 370 the second. Still didnt make up for what Morneau did.
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 2:40 pm

I dropped him at the same time. It was a redraft, though, so no long term pain.

deerayfan072 wrote:Dropped Holliday 3 years seasons ago in my money keeper league after he started in a slump that year. Someone else grabbed him and it cost him a 10th rounder to keep him. The round goes down every year you keep him, but still a great value every year
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 2:41 pm

seniorpaul wrote:In Aug 06 i traded Pujols away in a keeper league. At the time it looked like i was getting GREAT value for him, but in hindsight, it set my team WAAAAAY back. I traded Pujols, A.Rios, B.Phillips, J.Verlander and F.Garcia for Teixeira, Delgado, Peavy, Isringhausen, Randy Johnson and Podsednik.

At least you got Teix and Peavy.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers