"According to the Associated Press..." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"According to the Associated Press..."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Matthias » Sat May 17, 2008 3:37 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
Matthias wrote:Really, you should just ask this thread to be deleted or at least stop pushing it up to the top. It makes you look really bad.

Don't know where the hostility comes from, there are plenty more foolish posts in BL than this one ;-)

Just because it's a silly question, really, and you have your answer that it's journalistic convention not just for baseball but all of media and still you keep at it making silly comparisons to Thomas Edison inventing the light bulb.
OneLoveBoomer wrote:Seems like common knowledge to me. I'm not making a legal argument and it's more than fine if you disagree with me -- I just said it bugs me a little and I posted it as a curiosity.

It only seems like common knowledge because there's a vast information network, largely the Associated Press, that coordinates to get you the information. There's nothing innate in the score of a baseball game that you would just all of a sudden know it out of the ether.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Ursa » Sat May 17, 2008 6:23 pm

Matthias wrote:Really, you should just ask this thread to be deleted or at least stop pushing it up to the top. It makes you look really bad.

Since the post count in this thread stands at One Love Boomer 4 Matthias 4, you might want to do some figuring on just who keeps pushing it to the top.

Or lighten up.

Or ignore it.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1935
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 12 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Minneapolis

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat May 17, 2008 6:58 pm

For what it is worth, I was curious about the same thing. It bugs me as well. But I understand the necessity of the convention but I think Boomer is getting to the point that it is not "News" as Yahoo has it. Injuries and streaks/slumps are newsworthy. This news is simply not relevant.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Madison » Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Matthias has got it covered, you need to give credit to where the information came from, as simple as it may be.


Correct. Copyright of material and things (red tape stuff :-P ) on the internet is growing.

The other reason is the site posting the info picks up deniability if the info is incorrect. Had that been Hafner's 3rd pinch hit home run, not his second, then Yahoo would be able to say: "We didn't mess up, such-and-such are the ones who reported it".
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 17, 2008 8:05 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:For what it is worth, I was curious about the same thing. It bugs me as well. But I understand the necessity of the convention but I think Boomer is getting to the point that it is not "News" as Yahoo has it. Injuries and streaks/slumps are newsworthy. This news is simply not relevant.

This may be nitpicking, but it is 'News & Notes', the section to which these fall under; so they cover themselves there as just about anything can qualify as a 'note'.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 348)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby sblinyy » Sat May 17, 2008 8:29 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:



May 15 The Associated Press reports Washington Nationals OF Lastings Milledge was rested Wednesday, May 14.




Seems like common knowledge to me. I'm not making a legal argument and it's more than fine if you disagree with me -- I just said it bugs me a little and I posted it as a curiosity.


I didn't know Lastings milledge was taking a nap. Should I have known that? Is that common knowledge? :-D
Image

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 403
Joined: 1 Dec 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Half Massed » Sat May 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Matthias wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:My point is that they could attribute it to any number of the tens of thousands of people that have seen it first hand, let alone any other source halfway involved in the game. So why bother attributing it at all?

Because none of those tens of thousands of people call Yahoo! and say, "This is what I saw" much less have a history of being a reliable source that would qualify them to be a news feed.

Yankee Stadium being located in NYC is "common knowledge" that you can say without attributing to someone. Earth being the third planet closest to the sun is "common knowledge" that you can say without attributing to someone. The details of what happened at a particular ballpark an hour ago is something that nobody knows unless they watched it or somebody else told them about it.

Really, you should just ask this thread to be deleted or at least stop pushing it up to the top. It makes you look really bad.


What, do you work for the AP or something? Calm down. It's simply a case of the consumer (in this case Boomer) questioning the reason for something that the consumer doesn't need to see being in Yahoo's news blurbs. As has been said, the reason is probably legal or self-protective, but that's no reason to get all huffy about Boomer asking about it.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Matthias » Sat May 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Half Massed wrote:
Matthias wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:My point is that they could attribute it to any number of the tens of thousands of people that have seen it first hand, let alone any other source halfway involved in the game. So why bother attributing it at all?

Because none of those tens of thousands of people call Yahoo! and say, "This is what I saw" much less have a history of being a reliable source that would qualify them to be a news feed.

Yankee Stadium being located in NYC is "common knowledge" that you can say without attributing to someone. Earth being the third planet closest to the sun is "common knowledge" that you can say without attributing to someone. The details of what happened at a particular ballpark an hour ago is something that nobody knows unless they watched it or somebody else told them about it.

Really, you should just ask this thread to be deleted or at least stop pushing it up to the top. It makes you look really bad.

What, do you work for the AP or something? Calm down. It's simply a case of the consumer (in this case Boomer) questioning the reason for something that the consumer doesn't need to see being in Yahoo's news blurbs. As has been said, the reason is probably legal or self-protective, but that's no reason to get all huffy about Boomer asking about it.

This was a non-huffy answer...
Matthias wrote:It's probably not corroboration, but attribution, unless you think Yahoo! has reporters stationed at the game.

This was a non-huffy answer...
Matthias wrote:The light bulb is 150 years old. A news agency attributing their source of information is completely different.

He got his answer but then he kept pressing the point trying to fit his understanding against the plain answer he had been given. I ignored Ursa when he made your point but whatever... I wasn't even really being huffy. I was breaking the answer down further and further and further to get him to understand the way he was thinking about things isn't how they work because he wouldn't accept it.

And to answer your question, no, I don't work for the AP. Do you work for the Internet Friendliness Commission?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 pm

sblinyy wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:I didn't know Lastings milledge was taking a nap. Should I have known that? Is that common knowledge? :-D


Now that would be something--if they described the details of players' days and evenings away from the ballpark :-D



I tend not to complain about "too much news" in terms of too many updates, but with Fantasy Baseball one annoying thing is that (in the case of Yahoo), every red-starred paper icon could be an injury note. So when my team is full of note updates I kind of have to hold my breath as I go through them and read them, hoping that the likes of Reyes, Sizemore, Atkins, etc. don't have a new injury item. :-o :-o
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat May 17, 2008 11:09 pm

1. i agree its annoying
2. understand why they have it, but dont think it should be a blazing note
3. mattias is way too mad about this situation

:-D
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact