"According to the Associated Press..." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"According to the Associated Press..."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"According to the Associated Press..."

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Know what bugs me? Not outrageously bugs me but still bugs me. In the Yahoo player news, they always call on an outside source to corroborate the obvious. I'm sure it's some sort of professional protocol, but still...

May 17 Cleveland Indians DH Travis Hafner hit his second career pinch-hit home run Friday, May 16, against the Cincinnati Reds, according to the Associated Press. His other pinch-hit homer also came in an interleague game against the Cincinnati Reds, at Great American Ball Park on July 1, 2006.

Really? Why don't they just write, "Boomer was watching StatTracker last night and he reports that Hafner hits a home run."
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: "According to the Associated Press..."

Postby Matthias » Sat May 17, 2008 1:12 pm

It's probably not corroboration, but attribution, unless you think Yahoo! has reporters stationed at the game.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Matthias wrote:It's probably not corroboration, but attribution, unless you think Yahoo! has reporters stationed at the game.

Understood, but I just figured it fit under "common knowledge." Commercials for lightbulbs don't have Thomas Edison listed in the fine print.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Sat May 17, 2008 1:47 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
Matthias wrote:It's probably not corroboration, but attribution, unless you think Yahoo! has reporters stationed at the game.

Understood, but I just figured it fit under "common knowledge." Commercials for lightbulbs don't have Thomas Edison listed in the fine print.

The light bulb is 150 years old. A news agency attributing their source of information is completely different.

If you don't like it, then block it out with white-out on your computer screen.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Matthias wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:

The light bulb is 150 years old. A news agency attributing their source of information is completely different.

If you don't like it, then block it out with white-out on your computer screen.

My point is that they could attribute it to any number of the tens of thousands of people that have seen it first hand, let alone any other source halfway involved in the game. So why bother attributing it at all?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat May 17, 2008 2:09 pm

It's probably the "second career pinch-hit home run" that is the value-add AP is providing here.

I agree, it's still pretty useless.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:My point is that they could attribute it to any number of the tens of thousands of people that have seen it first hand, let alone any other source halfway involved in the game. So why bother attributing it at all?

Because none of those tens of thousands of people call Yahoo! and say, "This is what I saw" much less have a history of being a reliable source that would qualify them to be a news feed.

Yankee Stadium being located in NYC is "common knowledge" that you can say without attributing to someone. Earth being the third planet closest to the sun is "common knowledge" that you can say without attributing to someone. The details of what happened at a particular ballpark an hour ago is something that nobody knows unless they watched it or somebody else told them about it.

Really, you should just ask this thread to be deleted or at least stop pushing it up to the top. It makes you look really bad.
Last edited by Matthias on Sat May 17, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Merlin401 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:11 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
My point is that they could attribute it to any number of the tens of thousands of people that have seen it first hand, let alone any other source halfway involved in the game. So why bother attributing it at all?

But their news feed is the Associated Press. If they hired you to feed them news they'd credit you. As it is, Associated Press has the job.

The thing that annoys me is that they put those stupid pieces of news as "news" at all. I dont want to have to waste clicking on all the "new news" icons to see 6 recaps of last night box scores which I know anyway and the 1 injury note which I actually need.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat May 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Matthias has got it covered, you need to give credit to where the information came from, as simple as it may be.

And I agree with Merlin401, I do wish the Yahoo updates would be give more information about injuries, but we thankfully have sites like the Cafe and Rotoworld for that.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat May 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Matthias wrote:Really, you should just ask this thread to be deleted or at least stop pushing it up to the top. It makes you look really bad.

Don't know where the hostility comes from, there are plenty more foolish posts in BL than this one ;-)

May 13 The Associated Press reports Texas Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler stole his 10th base Monday, May 12.

May 15 The Associated Press reports Washington Nationals OF Lastings Milledge was rested Wednesday, May 14.

May 13 The Associated Press reports Toronto Blue Jays SP Shaun Marcum tossed eight shutout innings and allowed just two hits and no walks while striking out five Monday, May 12.

Seems like common knowledge to me. I'm not making a legal argument and it's more than fine if you disagree with me -- I just said it bugs me a little and I posted it as a curiosity.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers