Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Postby noseeum » Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 am

gws226 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Uggla is a classic example of an unheralded minor leaguer that didn't come up to the big leagues with much hype. When he started producing, everyone assumed it was a fluke. Now, when he continues to produce, everyone still thinks he's a fluke. He had a great 2006 season and was very good in 2007, and now he's starting off well in 2008. He's probably going to hit 30-35 homers and drive in 95-100 runs. What's wrong with that? I wouldn't sell high by any means.

My feelings exactly. Its not like his stats are unproven at this point....
Uggla 31(07) 27(06) = 58HR
Utley 22(07) 32(06) = 54HR

Uggla 105 (06) 113(07) 218R
Utley 131(06) 104 (107) 248R

The RBI production is a little dissapointing, but not exactly his fault. Although this trend seems follow my rostered players very well the last few years... it wouldn't be out of the question to think a guy who will belt 30ish HRs RBI totals will move a bit north into the 95-100 range now that there seems to be an improved team that isn't located in TB in FL?

With guys like Upton and Phillips wowing all last year, add in a dash of FL sux multiply by the "fluke" factor and I can see a guy like Uggla really slipping under everyone's radar. Is there a compelling reason to move him? Well, if your blessed with being in a league that someone will swap Holliday straight up for him.... why not? But, I'd be perfectly happy to see 100R, 30-35HR, and a .275-285 AVG come out of my 2B, all the while not have to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on draft day to accomplish that.

He's got a .470 BABIP in the past month. Interpret how you wish.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phiallyn » Mon May 19, 2008 2:50 am

Sell high for sure, his BB/K is garbage and he's going through is annual hot streak. I had him last year (when the Marlins had a legit hitter in Cabrera) and you get a lot of 0/? days and a ton of Ks. Sell high, and shoot really high because people are putting him up there with Chase Utley (DBags for sure).
phiallyn
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby spacehamster01 » Sat May 24, 2008 3:25 am

Dan Uggla just can't seem to be stopped. 15 HRs this year already? Geez.

I know its just a little over a quarter of the season but geez look at the comparison:

Utley:
14 HRs, 33 RBI, 36 Runs, 4 SB, .307
Uggla:
15 HRs, 34 RBI, 37 Runs, 2 SB, .320
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers