Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Postby Oatsdad » Sat May 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
Oatsdad wrote:I'm definitely trying to sell high. I grabbed him off waivers in my 10-team league a few weeks ago and I really don't need him since I already have Kinsler at 2B.

One other owner is hot for him. He already offered Votto and Brandon Phillips for him, but that doesn't do much for my needs. Trying to wheedle HanRam out of him - threw Uggla and Yunel Escobar for HanRam his way and we'll see if he salutes...

You already had him robbed blind.

With Uggla for Votto/Phillips? Maybe, and if we can't work out something else, I may go back and accept that. Just trying to finesse the deal so it actually makes better sense for me - I'm stocked pretty well at 1B and 2B, so I'd prefer to fill a need...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oatsdad » Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 am

I also had offered Uggla to other owners - one accepted Uggla for Holliday, straight up. Methinks I'm happy - is there any better feeling than turning a WW pickup into a trade for a 1st rounder??? :-D
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MEK4178 » Sun May 18, 2008 1:09 pm

i sold him off in a package with carlos lee to get carl crawford and lackey. i slid cano into the 2b slot so i'm really banking on a cano turn around here.
MEK4178
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun May 18, 2008 2:16 pm

Oatsdad wrote:I also had offered Uggla to other owners - one accepted Uggla for Holliday, straight up. Methinks I'm happy - is there any better feeling than turning a WW pickup into a trade for a 1st rounder??? :-D

In what league is Uggla a WW pickup???
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Benjn » Sun May 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Someone probably cut ties early when he was struggling pretty hard, before going on a tear.

Not saying it was a good idea, but people panic. *shrug*

Also, Uggla for Holliday. What the hell? heh... good trade. Insanity.
Benjn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby daullaz » Sun May 18, 2008 4:27 pm

spacehamster01 wrote:So based on my analysis, he would end up with something like this:

35-38 HRs, 95+ RBI, .285

This would be the guy you try and sell high to.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 18, 2008 4:31 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I sold on Uggla. Here's the thing: you guys are all saying that he's got 30-35 HR power. He's already hit 12. SO that means he's got 20 or so left... and the rest of his game isn't going to be anything special. In the deal, I gave up Uggla and Eric Byrnes and got back Kent, Wainwright, and Kerry Wood....

Wow...

That's a TERRIBLE deal. Byrnes alone is worth as much if not more than Kent, Wood, and Wainright.

...You bought high on strugglig players while selling low onm one of the hottest players n the MLB.

That takes some kind of talent.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 18, 2008 4:36 pm

daullaz wrote:
spacehamster01 wrote:So based on my analysis, he would end up with something like this:

35-38 HRs, 95+ RBI, .285

This would be the guy you try and sell high to.

:-D :-b :-D :-D :-b ;-D
PERFECT.

Does this dude seriously think Uggla is going to end up being a top 50 fantasy producer because of one month? Seriously man. 40 homers, 100 rbis, and 280 average?
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Sun May 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Uggla is a classic example of an unheralded minor leaguer that didn't come up to the big leagues with much hype. When he started producing, everyone assumed it was a fluke. Now, when he continues to produce, everyone still thinks he's a fluke. He had a great 2006 season and was very good in 2007, and now he's starting off well in 2008. He's probably going to hit 30-35 homers and drive in 95-100 runs. What's wrong with that? I wouldn't sell high by any means.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gws226 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 am

sportsaddict wrote:Uggla is a classic example of an unheralded minor leaguer that didn't come up to the big leagues with much hype. When he started producing, everyone assumed it was a fluke. Now, when he continues to produce, everyone still thinks he's a fluke. He had a great 2006 season and was very good in 2007, and now he's starting off well in 2008. He's probably going to hit 30-35 homers and drive in 95-100 runs. What's wrong with that? I wouldn't sell high by any means.

My feelings exactly. Its not like his stats are unproven at this point....
Uggla 31(07) 27(06) = 58HR
Utley 22(07) 32(06) = 54HR

Uggla 105 (06) 113(07) 218R
Utley 131(06) 104 (107) 248R

The RBI production is a little dissapointing, but not exactly his fault. Although this trend seems follow my rostered players very well the last few years... it wouldn't be out of the question to think a guy who will belt 30ish HRs RBI totals will move a bit north into the 95-100 range now that there seems to be an improved team that isn't located in TB in FL?

With guys like Upton and Phillips wowing all last year, add in a dash of FL sux multiply by the "fluke" factor and I can see a guy like Uggla really slipping under everyone's radar. Is there a compelling reason to move him? Well, if your blessed with being in a league that someone will swap Holliday straight up for him.... why not? But, I'd be perfectly happy to see 100R, 30-35HR, and a .275-285 AVG come out of my 2B, all the while not have to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on draft day to accomplish that.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers