Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Postby The River » Fri May 16, 2008 10:11 pm

As most of us know here, Dan Uggla is pretty much destroying pitchers without mercy in the past several weeks. Is now the time to sell high or do some of you at the Cafe expect top numbers at 2B from the young Marlin?

Just to throw my opinion in, I really do not think his AVG or R will continue to be so high, but I think the power potential is there for 35 HRs and 95 RBIs (100 maybe stretching it).

Also, what do you think is a good return value for Uggla in terms of pitching and hitting. Just curious to see what the market looks like for him (I own him of course).

Post away!
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dan "The Man" Uggla: Sell High or Hold?

Postby woodson_28 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:31 pm

IMO, his avg will drop to .270-.285, but other than that, I see him continuing to produce. I agree that 35HR isn't out of the question, but more likely 28-32. You can sell high if you want, but I'm thinking he'll finish between 4-7 at the 2b position.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:52 pm

I felt like he was a little underrated going into the draft, seems no one ever talked about him. I wouldn't exactly be panicking and trying to sell him high, but if you get a good offer then I would deal him.

I agree he has 35 HR power, and that is very rare at 2b..
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 197)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 16, 2008 11:58 pm

It depends how high you can sell him, but most likely I'd hold onto him. His average will drop off most likely, but he will still hit for good power.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ROC AllStars » Sat May 17, 2008 12:10 am

I say hold. His average is likely to end around .270-.280, but he'll put up great power numbers for a 2B, second only to Utley. I would definitely rank him in the top 4 at his position at the end of the season.

That being said, if someone offers you Pujols for him, then yes, sell high. But it must be a really high sell.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat May 17, 2008 12:13 am

i dont see his average being .280. not in the least. i think you'd be lucky for it to be anywhere near .265-.270.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Rollotommasi » Sat May 17, 2008 12:17 am

The River wrote:As most of us know here, Dan Uggla is pretty much destroying pitchers without mercy in the past several weeks. Is now the time to sell high or do some of you at the Cafe expect top numbers at 2B from the young Marlin?

Just to throw my opinion in, I really do not think his AVG or R will continue to be so high, but I think the power potential is there for 35 HRs and 95 RBIs (100 maybe stretching it).

Also, what do you think is a good return value for Uggla in terms of pitching and hitting. Just curious to see what the market looks like for him (I own him of course).

Post away!

he's a 0.343 career hitter in May.......0.250/260 in the other months
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/769 ... pe=Batting
Rollotommasi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby guffee » Sat May 17, 2008 1:33 am

Sell if you are getting a different good player, but if you are selling 2b for 2b, unless you are getting Utley, you should stick with Uggla.

He is month-2-month streaky so sell now especially since his career May numbers are ridiculously above his other month numbers(BA.343/17HR(most)/51RBI(most)/R68(most))
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 am

I sold on Uggla. Here's the thing: you guys are all saying that he's got 30-35 HR power. He's already hit 12. SO that means he's got 20 or so left... and the rest of his game isn't going to be anything special. In the deal, I gave up Uggla and Eric Byrnes and got back Kent, Wainwright, and Kerry Wood....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby daullaz » Sat May 17, 2008 2:03 am

I would try to sell high on him to an owner that thinks he'll be great all year.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers