Opinions for 6x6 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Opinions for 6x6

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Opinions for 6x6

Postby kvillantz18 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:10 am

I'm the commisioner and am debating the extra pitching cat. between K/9 or K/BB. I'm leaning toward K/BB. Any suggestions?

Also, OPS is the 6th hitting cat. We're would you place Bonds in that situation for draft day? Gimme whatch ya got. You are appreciated.
Up in here?
kvillantz18
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:18 am

I run a 6x6 league, and the extra cats. I use are OPS and Holds. You may want to give holds a whirl ;-D

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby cubs_in_04 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:21 am

I also commish a 6x6 league. We use Hitter K's and HOLDS (which I really like since it adds a new set of players into the mix--middle relievers).

OPS or OBP is a good 6th offensive category, our league just happened to pick Hitter K's.
cubs_in_04

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby nsulham » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:49 am

Also in a 6x6. Our extra cats. are hits for hitters and walks for pitchers.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:13 am

I think the problem with 6 X 6 is the extra pitching cat, because there are many good batting ones to use.

Using Walks as the extra Cat kinda is like a double punishment because the walk already counts in the WHIP.

Same with K/9 or K/BB, they are both factored in to the original 5 cats.

Although I've never used Holds, to me it seems like it would be the best Pitching cat to use.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:31 am

Agreed with Andy - the extra pitching category is a bit trickier, because so many stats are either very rare or result in duplication. Holds is definitelys good if you're looking to avoid either of those cases.

I'll also throw out home runs allowed as an interesting category. Maybe not that relevant statistically, and also somewhat tied to whip and era, but interesting nonetheless.

All a matter of taste. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brdmaverick » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:47 am

An extra pitching category that I like is Total Bases given up.

The reason I like this is because it keeps owners from using the strategy of picking up and dropping pitchers everyday.

That way there, if they still did use the strategy, they would be forfeiting three categories (W, K, Total Bases) instead of just the two.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Opinions for 6x6

Postby swarmee » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:03 am

kvillantz18 wrote:I'm the commisioner and am debating the extra pitching cat. between K/9 or K/BB. I'm leaning toward K/BB. Any suggestions?

To answer your second question first, since everyone else ignored it, Bonds moves up to about the #5 hitter, as well as Helton moves up to #4 or so. Dropping beneath them are Soriano and Beltran, in my opinion. Although Vlad going to a more hitter neutral park would also drop below Helton for me.

As to the extra pitching category, the question becomes what you want to reward: starters or middle relievers and closers. If you add total bases allowed, K/9, or holds, you're increasing the value of late inning relievers. K/BB favors relievers slightly, but also improves the stud pitchers. If you've got a salaried keeper league, you probably want to go with K/BB, since that way people won't be dumping their starting pitchers for this draft, and overinflating the values of closers/middle relievers.

Adding holds, IMO, decreases the values of the top pitchers (Prior, Pedro, Schilling, etc) since they now only contribute to 67% of the pitching categories, while stud hitters like A-Rod, Pujols, Helton all contribute in 5-6 categories.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers