3 for Werth - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

3 for Werth

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 3 for Werth

Postby Homoudont » Sat May 17, 2008 8:53 pm

well I had him in my lineup yesterday.. I am in a daily transaction league and only start him vs lefties. he's batting over .500 for me for the season. as a spot starter he's worthy of a roster spot.
Homoudont
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wildbill » Sat May 17, 2008 9:54 pm

JMB05 wrote:
wildbill wrote:Odds are he'll never have another night this good again in his career. BTW the first 2 HRs came off a AAA pitcher who was headed back to AAA after the game anyway so he didn't exactly smack around a competent major league pitcher.

I just couldn't let this one pass. This argument is flawed to say the least. If he "didn't exactly smack around a competent major league pitcher" then why didn't everyone else have 3 home runs and 8 rbi's? I agree that he will probably never put up those numbers again, but most "competent major league hitters" won't either.

He had a great game and deserves all the credit in the world for it.

JMB

Dude do you realize how stupid your comment is? The guy was a AAA pitcher. As I said it was reported he was headed back to AAA after the game no matter how he did in the game. Does that sound like a competent major league pitcher or a desperate fill-in start? I'll let you think about that.

At any rate the point I was trying to make is Werth is not suddenly going to turn into a healthy A-Rod. I'm not saying he sucks, but far to often people overreact to a player who has a career game. This thread is a prime example of that. I know Werth was once a pretty good prospect years ago in the Dodgers system, but we shouldn't be anointing him the MVP because of 1 game.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:37 pm

I don't think anyone is making Werth out to be A-Rod let alone Abreau. But he has a chance to be as good as Damon for half the cost.

And regardless if Werth smacked around a AAA pitcher, he still got 3 HRs. Kudos to him for a good game and hopefully a solid season.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat May 17, 2008 10:42 pm

jdsun1 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:Oh so I guess he sucks then. :-°

I didn't get the feeling that Wildbill was going this route and neither should you. :-? Check the stats going into tonight's game - in 1083 ML at-bats he's got 39 HR's and in 2500+ minor league at-bats he's hit a whooping 79. Oh, and he's 29 years old. Fact is odds are amazingly stacked against him from repeating ANYTHING like this.

Que the guys who came out of nowhere thread. Guess you didn't have him in your lineup did you Red? Too bad. Hater. :-t

Well something needed to smack some sense into you. ;-D Thing is, guys play in enough baseball games - they can have a career day. Doesn't mean they become fantasy relevant in every instance. Granted he's off to a good start this year, but you've got to acknowledge that he won't likely sustain it.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Zhangman1 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:34 am

[/quote]Well something needed to smack some sense into you. ;-D Thing is, guys play in enough baseball games - they can have a career day. Doesn't mean they become fantasy relevant in every instance. Granted he's off to a good start this year, but you've got to acknowledge that he won't likely sustain it.[/quote]

I disagree, I think he's as likely to sustain it as any other guy who's come on this year. I seriously think that if he can get consistent PT, he's gonna get 20/20 with a BA around .275. Michael Cuddyer numbers with more SBs.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Sun May 18, 2008 3:36 am

Zhangman1 wrote:
Well something needed to smack some sense into you. ;-D Thing is, guys play in enough baseball games - they can have a career day. Doesn't mean they become fantasy relevant in every instance. Granted he's off to a good start this year, but you've got to acknowledge that he won't likely sustain it.

I disagree, I think he's as likely to sustain it as any other guy who's come on this year. I seriously think that if he can get consistent PT, he's gonna get 20/20 with a BA around .275. Michael Cuddyer numbers with more SBs.

Well he's not on a 20/20 pace, more like 30/20, or if he actually played just about every game around 40-45 HR (9 HR in 34 games played). He's not going to sustain that, but 20 - 25 HR is probably doable.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedHopeful » Sun May 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:
Well something needed to smack some sense into you. ;-D Thing is, guys play in enough baseball games - they can have a career day. Doesn't mean they become fantasy relevant in every instance. Granted he's off to a good start this year, but you've got to acknowledge that he won't likely sustain it.[/quote]

I disagree, I think he's as likely to sustain it as any other guy who's come on this year. I seriously think that if he can get consistent PT, he's gonna get 20/20 with a BA around .275. Michael Cuddyer numbers with more SBs.[/quote]

How is getting 20/20 a good thing? He's already at 9/6 so getting 11 more HR's the rest of the way is werth it? ;-7
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Justblaze » Sun May 18, 2008 10:26 pm

All depends on playing time. Werth can definitely hit 30 HR, but only if he gets regular AB. Citizen Bank Park should make that within reach. I don't know where is average will land, but if he can keep getting playing time he will probably put up serviceable numbers batting behind two on-base hogs in Howard and Burrell. Even if he doesn't bat at a high clip his power and speed combo is appealing.

I don't think Werth will be hitting in the two-hole alot, but then again it's Charlie Manuel managing the team.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 18, 2008 10:30 pm

Justblaze wrote:All depends on playing time. Werth can definitely hit 30 HR, but only if he gets regular AB. Citizen Bank Park should make that within reach. I don't know where is average will land, but if he can keep getting playing time he will probably put up serviceable numbers batting behind two on-base hogs in Howard and Burrell. Even if he doesn't bat at a high clip his power and speed combo is appealing.

I don't think Werth will be hitting in the two-hole alot, but then again it's Charlie Manuel managing the team.

I thiunk he has 30/20 potential and i'm seriously considering adding him.Especially hitting behind Rollins and in front of Howard and Utley. He'll get a fair amount of RBUI chances with rollins, tons of pitches to see with the huuge sluggers behind him, plenty of oppurtunities to steal a base with big threats at the plate, and howard and utley to knock him in for runs.

He could do something around 100 30 90 20 275 this year. Not saynig he will. But he can.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Zhangman1 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:44 pm

After the last 2 games, I think Werth should only be started against LHP. If your in a daily leage and have the roster room, this should give you great numbers.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates