Yahoo Average Stats Problem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo Average Stats Problem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Average Stats Problem

Postby kellens » Fri May 16, 2008 2:49 pm

I am in a fantasy point league in Yahoo. I am looking at the Average Stats page. The fantasy point column doesn't seem correct. For example, Ichiro has 128 points in 42 games. That is 3.04 points per game. But the average stats page shows 2.8. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
kellens
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo Average Stats Problem

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri May 16, 2008 2:58 pm

kellens wrote:I am in a fantasy point league in Yahoo. I am looking at the Average Stats page. The fantasy point column doesn't seem correct. For example, Ichiro has 128 points in 42 games. That is 3.04 points per game. But the average stats page shows 2.8. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

You didn't mention the details of your league. If you want to post whether you are playing free or plus, and the id number of your league (the URL for your league home accomplishes both of these), I can take a look. Do NOT give me any passwords.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall there is an open bug against average stats in point based leagues that use Games Played as a stat category. By any chance does your league use GP as a stat category?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby kellens » Fri May 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Free league.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/118138

We do not use GP as a stat category.
kellens
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 pm

kellens wrote:Free league.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/118138

We do not use GP as a stat category.

Ah well. That means I'll have to actually do work. That's unfortunate ;-)

With a reproducible case (i.e. your league), I should be able to figure out what is wrong, and then figure out how hard it is to fix. I'll see when I can get to it.

EDIT: while I'm not positive, I expect I know what is going on. My hunch is that it is a problem of rounding and small numbers. If you take your scoring modifiers and apply them to the displayed average values for each stat, you'll come up with the exact value being displayed i.e. 2.8. My guess is that it is doing this rather than just averaging overall points. Which is silly, but it probably snuck through since not that many people play points-based, and then look at the average stats tab, and then actually pay attention. I'll file a bug and hopefully someone can get to it for you.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby noseeum » Sun May 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Just a shout out to FantasySportsGenie for using the Cafe to interact with yahoo users, help solve issues for them, and likely provide input back into yahoo for improving the product. Good work!

You may have read my diatribes about how much I dislike yahoo's interface before, so feel free to send them up the flag too. :-b
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner