Big Papi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Big Papi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Papi

Postby TheBambino » Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 am

Does anyone know if he is completely healthy? Im looking to acquire him for Haren and Schmidt (which will completely kill my pitching staff!) and so I want to be absolutely sure he is healthy (no lingering Knee problems from surgery,) and can hit like he used to. So far his numbers dont look too impressive.... Anyone have info on him? Lets discuss!....
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Big Papi

Postby ScrappyDoo » Fri May 16, 2008 10:58 am

Well essentially you would be getting him for Haren straight up because Schmidt hasn't been good for years and is always hurt. Do it. He will be fine.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Fri May 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Big Papi has been looking much better from the beginning of the season. He's putting weight on his leg, he's checking his swing on pitches that in April he was flailing at, and he has raised his AVG 50 points so far in the month of May.

As points of comparison....
Papi's 55AB's in May... 18 Hits, 30 Total Bases, 8K's, 8BB's (2 Intentional)
Papi's 53AB's to start the season... 6 hits, 9 Total Bases, 12K's, 9BB's (1 Intentional in 1st game of the season)

He's not looking like the monster that baseball fans have come to expect out of him, but is looking much better and much more comfortable at the plate.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pat189 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:17 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Well essentially you would be getting him for Haren straight up because Schmidt hasn't been good for years and is always hurt. Do it. He will be fine.

My same thoughts..if you are going to trade Ortiz you do it for a pitcher like Johan,Peavy,Webb
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Fri May 16, 2008 12:22 pm

pat189 wrote:
ScrappyDoo wrote:Well essentially you would be getting him for Haren straight up because Schmidt hasn't been good for years and is always hurt. Do it. He will be fine.

My same thoughts..if you are going to trade Ortiz you do it for a pitcher like Johan,Peavy,Webb

If this is really a trade question, it's in the wrong forum.

But no way anyone would trade any of those pitchers for Ortiz right now, even with his improvement the last couple of weeks. Haren is probably the top end of what an Ortiz owner could expect... other guys to aim for and probably be the top end of realism would be guys like Chien-Ming Wang, Sabathia, Kazmir, or Hamels. But I can't say that I would be shocked if those trades were offered and rejected by the guys getting Papi.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ha_jai » Fri May 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I would do the deal too. I've been disappointed by Papi last year and this year until I finally realized that he is not the 40+ HR guy anymore. Once you get that image out of your head, you'll realize he is a pretty good fantasy guy. Good AVG, decent pop in his bat, and plenty of RBI.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates