Alex Rios - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Alex Rios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Alex Rios

Postby Jester » Fri May 16, 2008 8:26 am

Rios will be fine - I watch him daily and there is a difference with his approach right now. He is pressing, moving around too much in the box and not seeing the ball.

Matt Stairs pulled him aside the other day and gave him a point or two, and the two next at bats he smacked the ball really hard, unfortunately right at the respective outfielders.

Rios is not typically a prototypical "streaky" hitter. I mean he obviously has his hot streaks like anyone else, but usually he hits for average and occasional power. This is the first real slump he has ever had - he will break out of it and be consistent for the rest of the year.

I'm going to be the guy on the other end of the deals - let him get on that hot streak and I'll take him off of anyone's hands for cheap.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Relentless » Fri May 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:
Za_German wrote:Texas is tied for 6th in runs scored (Hamilton and Bradley) Pittsburgh is 4th (McClouth and Bay) White Sox are 18th (Quentin) almost all of the guys you listed actually play for decent if not good offensive teams, Rowand being the exception. Toronto, by contrast, is 27th in runs scored. I have to disagree about something being up with him, I think he'll turn around just fine, but the peripherals will not be there. I agree with interchange - when he heats up I'm going to look to move him. Somewhere Frank Thomas is laughing his ass off.

The Sox and Rangers are over-achieving offensively. Where would the Sox be w/o Quentin right now? The same for the Rangers w/Bradley+Hamilton. What's the common thread amongst them? They're catalysts. What was Rios supposed to be? A catylyst. He isn't catalyzing anything, and he's the most talented player on the Jays, = Jays offense doesn't produce.

I agree with all that Rios will eventually put up some numbers, and when he does he needs to be moved, because in light of his performance of late you just can't buy that what he did in '06-'07 is "the norm"....

What are you talking about over-achieving? This two ball clubs has legit offenses. The White Sox sluggers (Konerko, Dye, Thome) are just struggling right now, but these 3 still possesses 30+ homerun power. This is also the exact same White Sox that won the World Series in '05 with the addition of Thome, O-Cabrera, and Quentin, but with the lost of Rowand. Plus, aren't they second in the AL Central right now?

Also, the Rangers, what about MICHAEL YOUNG and IAN KINSLER!? Young is one of the best offensive SS in the AL, and Kinsler is probably the best offensive 2nd baseman in the AL.

So I really dunno where you're coming from with this over-achieving stuff...
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 16, 2008 1:56 pm

There are a few factors which are affecting Rios.

1. The contract. I hate it when a team gives someone a fat contract at the beginning of the year. Then they feel like they have to do something to earn it, and they try too hard.

2. The move in the roster to #1. Its obviously affecting him, since it is when the slump started.

He will pull out of his slump.

Talk about Pittsburgh having a good offense. Come on! Even if they do, Bay has been carrying that team for years.

When Rios does get hot again, pitchers will be able to pitch around him, since they don't have to worry about players like Wells and Thomas... although Thomas was pretty darn cold when he was on the team... and Rios was hot at that point. But I think Wells being out will make a big difference. Good for the OBP, possibly, and for SBs, since he will be on base more often. But not good for the power numbers.

I think its too soon to be panicking on Rios. Hes only been on a slump for a short time... and he doesn't normally go into such slumps. He'll be fine!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Za_German » Sat May 17, 2008 3:02 am

Talk about Pittsburgh having a good offense. Come on! Even if they do, Bay has been carrying that team for years.

I think its time that we start acknowledging the numbers for this year. There is a certain point in every season that preconceived notions formulated from previous years go out the window. YES Pittsburgh has a good offense, YES Baltimore may be this good, YES Detroit is not a powerhouse, etc. You can no longer say the numbers from this year don't matter and "its early" - its not early.

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quitesanemax » Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Za_German wrote:

I think its time that we start acknowledging the numbers for this year. There is a certain point in every season that preconceived notions formulated from previous years go out the window. YES Pittsburgh has a good offense, YES Baltimore may be this good, YES Detroit is not a powerhouse, etc. You can no longer say the numbers from this year don't matter and "its early" - its not early.

Original statement earlier was that Rios value is less because he is one of the only good players on the team. Another counter argument included Bay as someone who proved that this doesn't kill a players value. Next post pointed out that Bay wasn't carrying the Pirates this year. My point was that Bay has carried that team in the past, even if there are other good players on the team this year... so one player can carry a team if they are that good.

That being said, I disagree with you. May is still a bit early to be determining what your going to be getting out of the team for the whole year... lots of times teams have come out hot out of the gate. Pirates could easily be one of those teams.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu May 29, 2008 5:56 pm

5-29 v Oakland:

3 GIDP's, 0-5

Toronto as a team: 16 Hits, 10 Runs through 7 innings
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bjfcool2 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:58 pm

He will be FINE! People on this board tend to overreact when a player slumps.
bjfcool2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby powenM » Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Jays suck??? Come on. They have the best SP staff in baseball.

ARios will get it together. The guy has no protection the lineup with VWells out.
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:5-29 v Oakland:

3 GIDP's, 0-5

Toronto as a team: 16 Hits, 10 Runs through 7 innings

Before that he had actually already broken out of his slump. This is no longer a slump, that was just a bad game. Yeah, I'd like to see him hit HRs, but he hasn't been hurting my team anymore... before yesterday.

Note that Oakland played 3 lefties in that game. IF you look at his stats you might notice that hes been struggling against lefties this season. This has never been a problem with him throughout his career. I'm wondering whether to keep playing him against lefties with the idea in mind that he is bound to even that average out, as his career stats seem to show he tends to do, or if I should bench him against lefties until I notice him start hitting them again. I hate to do that with my star players, but I might just have to do that for the time being.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DBronson12 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:11 pm

I just sold Alex Rios for about .50 cents on the dollar (Cain and Damon). His 1 HR in May is very troublesome to me! I think he hit under 10 bombs in the second half of last season, so going forward it is scary. Us Rios owners drafted this guy because he SHOULD have been a lock for 25-25, with the upside of 30-25. I will say this, he is holding up his end in the stolen base dept. I think he will be lucky to finish up the season with 20 HR's.
DBronson12 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates