Alex Rios - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Alex Rios

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Rios

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu May 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Is he hurt? Was he a juicer? Has he shut it down now that he's signed his big fat contract?

Here are his numbers from the last 8 days:

5-36

0 R
0 HR
1 RBI
0 SB

Season to date:

19 R
2 HR
14 RBI
8 SB

His trade value has plummeted to nearly nothing over the last 3 weeks. Am I missing something?
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alex Rios

Postby Tiki1311 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:22 pm

I feel your pain. Rios was my 3rd round pick. AFter the first couple of weeks, I thought I hit the jackpot. He was hitting over .300 and running at 50 SB pace. But the last 3 weeks have been brutal - no power, no speed, no average, high K's. In a previous Rios post, I mentioned his K/AB rate which is really concerning since it is almost twice his rate from the last 2 years.
Tiki1311
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dubstar » Thu May 15, 2008 5:46 pm

im worried too, i traded e santana and nady for him a couple weeks ago. hopefully he turns it around.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:12 pm

OVERHYPED?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Relentless » Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 pm

It all started when he was moved to the lead-off spot. I dunno if it gave him more pressure or what, but gladly he's now back to the 3rd spot. Hopefully, he starts hitting around .300 again sooner than later.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby interchange » Thu May 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Either way the Jays suck, which limits his value even when he's playing well. If he goes on another hot streak, I'm moving him in the league I still have him in.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slayer Rules » Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 pm

interchange wrote:Either way the Jays suck, which limits his value even when he's playing well. If he goes on another hot streak, I'm moving him in the league I still have him in.

Sure - but there are quite a few guys on poor teams that are lighting it up anyway - Quentin, Hamilton, McClouth, Rowand, Bay - hell even Milton Freaking Bradley to name just a few.

One thing I've noticed is that there is 0% disagreement that there's something up w/Rios - the "chill - it's early" rebuttals have stopped flowing. Rightfully so in light of what is a truly epic slump at this point....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Za_German » Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 am

Sure - but there are quite a few guys on poor teams that are lighting it up anyway - Quentin, Hamilton, McClouth, Rowand, Bay - hell even Milton Freaking Bradley to name just a few.

One thing I've noticed is that there is 0% disagreement that there's something up w/Rios - the "chill - it's early" rebuttals have stopped flowing. Rightfully so in light of what is a truly epic slump at this point....

Texas is tied for 6th in runs scored (Hamilton and Bradley) Pittsburgh is 4th (McClouth and Bay) White Sox are 18th (Quentin) almost all of the guys you listed actually play for decent if not good offensive teams, Rowand being the exception. Toronto, by contrast, is 27th in runs scored. I have to disagree about something being up with him, I think he'll turn around just fine, but the peripherals will not be there. I agree with interchange - when he heats up I'm going to look to move him. Somewhere Frank Thomas is laughing his ass off.

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri May 16, 2008 12:40 am

Za_German wrote:Texas is tied for 6th in runs scored (Hamilton and Bradley) Pittsburgh is 4th (McClouth and Bay) White Sox are 18th (Quentin) almost all of the guys you listed actually play for decent if not good offensive teams, Rowand being the exception. Toronto, by contrast, is 27th in runs scored. I have to disagree about something being up with him, I think he'll turn around just fine, but the peripherals will not be there. I agree with interchange - when he heats up I'm going to look to move him. Somewhere Frank Thomas is laughing his ass off.

The Sox and Rangers are over-achieving offensively. Where would the Sox be w/o Quentin right now? The same for the Rangers w/Bradley+Hamilton. What's the common thread amongst them? They're catalysts. What was Rios supposed to be? A catylyst. He isn't catalyzing anything, and he's the most talented player on the Jays, = Jays offense doesn't produce.

I agree with all that Rios will eventually put up some numbers, and when he does he needs to be moved, because in light of his performance of late you just can't buy that what he did in '06-'07 is "the norm"....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 am

I understand that this is an extended slump, but hasn't this guy always been streaky?
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates