Sleeper Closers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper Closers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:07 am

I'd keep an eye on Chad Cordero in Montreal's camp this spring.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leber » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:11 am

well i play in a points based league. here is the scoring format... Pitching: 10 for a win or save, 2 for inning pitched, 1 for a k, 5 for a CG, -1 for an ER against, and -.5 for a walk or a hit against

So only ER matter against me and hits...so i think julio is a decnt second starter...might not start him the fist week becuase he plays boston...
Leber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:13 am

isnt julio a pretty big injury risk right now?

how about the TOR situation? or MON? What about SF - are we sure nen is back to full health? PIT - are they seriously going with Mesa? Where does Urbina go?

Tons of questions for closers right now out there guys - if I tried I know I could come up with twice as many situations that arent as settled as some currently believe. Remember, last yr this was a position with a very high turnover.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ramble2 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:07 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:isnt julio a pretty big injury risk right now?

how about the TOR situation? or MON? What about SF - are we sure nen is back to full health? PIT - are they seriously going with Mesa? Where does Urbina go?

Tons of questions for closers right now out there guys - if I tried I know I could come up with twice as many situations that arent as settled as some currently believe. Remember, last yr this was a position with a very high turnover.

That reminds me. Herges could be the best last pick of a draft this year. Expect him to close in SF if Nen isn't able.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby red » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:11 am

I second the Cordero motion
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:35 am

toronto hasnt named a closer yet but i think it will be aquilino lopez.

jose mesa has looked dead before and come back strong. he might do it again in pittsburgh. i wouldnt draft either one of these guys but if its after the draft and you need a closer...well desperate people do desperate things.

koch will probably fall very far in your drafts. he could go be good for 30+ saves. but then again he could lose the job after a month.

biddle is right below koch in my opinion. he will probably start the season as the closer but whether or not he stays there is anyones guess. cordero or ayala could end up with the job.

i think the indians indicated they would go with bob wickman as the closer but riske could get the job. wickman isnt even in yahoo last time i checked.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers