Rafael Betancourt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rafael Betancourt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rafael Betancourt

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu May 15, 2008 3:32 pm

In today's afternoon game he was taken out after only recording one out in the ninth and was relieved by Kobayashi...

A) Did he get injured?
B) Is he demoted?
C) Should I pick up Kobayashi?

Thanks!
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rafael Betancourt

Postby Spectrum » Thu May 15, 2008 3:46 pm

If he's hurt, it didn't happen today. Maybe he's hiding something which leads to his abnormal numbers so far this year (doubtful tho)

I can't go so far as to say he's getting replaced by Kobayashi yet.
Even if he does, Borowski should be back closing by the series at home with the Rangers next weekend.

So if it's me, and the league is setup where you can get good contribution from an 8th inning guy (holds, low importance of IP, etc) I don't think I'd drop Betancourt, yet. Because I'd like to see him back in the 8th and see how he does. If he returns to dominant form.

If you're fed up with Raffy, and are just hoping for a shot at a couple of save ops in the near future, I'd like to make that move.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm wondering the same thing...Betancourt has not looked good since getting the closer's job.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KronJon » Thu May 15, 2008 3:59 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:I'm wondering the same thing...Betancourt has not looked good since getting the closer's job.

He actually hasn't looked good all year, including when he was the setup man.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu May 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Spectrum wrote:If he's hurt, it didn't happen today. Maybe he's hiding something which leads to his abnormal numbers so far this year (doubtful tho)

I can't go so far as to say he's getting replaced by Kobayashi yet.
Even if he does, Borowski should be back closing by the series at home with the Rangers next weekend.

So if it's me, and the league is setup where you can get good contribution from an 8th inning guy (holds, low importance of IP, etc) I don't think I'd drop Betancourt, yet. Because I'd like to see him back in the 8th and see how he does. If he returns to dominant form.

If you're fed up with Raffy, and are just hoping for a shot at a couple of save ops in the near future, I'd like to make that move.

Thanks for the response... I am DEFINITELY fed up with Raffy, but my league counts holds, and I have Borowski on the bench... and someone just picked up Kobayashi...

I'm still confident Borowski gets the job back... and I'm cautiously optimistic Betancourt finds himself... I just feel like Wedge won't give up on Betancourt yet... he's so loyal, almost to the point of insanity...

oh well
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Spectrum » Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 pm

No, there's no way that wedge will give up on Betancourt.
They could possibly give him a few games off, marking him as unavailable, and having him work with Carl Willis pre-game. If they actually see something he's doing wrong.

I'm wondering if it's simply the fact that the league stressed to him specifically, before the season, that the umpires have been instructed to enforce that 12 second rule (or whatever it is). Because there were a lot of complaints from clubs last year, that he takes too long to deliver, and he was actually called on it twice last season.

It might just be him mentally rushing himself. He's velocity is there, and the movement is there. He's just a guy that relies on pinpoint location and he's missed his spots alot. during spring, the dude was throwing darts up there. lights out.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deutschland » Fri May 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Spectrum wrote:No, there's no way that wedge will give up on Betancourt.

How can you say this so surely and what exactly do you mean? When Borowski comes back Betancourt will not be closing and right now Wedge is at the very least considering Masa to close in the interim, as evidenced by his non-commital reply to a question last night about making a change. If there's "no way" he's giving up on Betancourt as the closer he would have said so then.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 16, 2008 4:14 pm

I believe it's 20 seconds in between pitches.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Spectrum » Fri May 16, 2008 5:25 pm

I mean, Betancourt will still have his job. Which to me is setup guy. He's plugging a hole right now. And yea I'm hoping Kobayashi gets the save ops from here until Borowski comes back. And then I'm hoping Borowski stops throwing 78mph "fastballs" down the middle of the plate.

when I say Wedge won't give up on him, I mean like Fernando Cabrera last year.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates