Pitchers who may return in the next month - Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitchers who may return in the next month - Discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitchers who may return in the next month - Discussion

Postby BigZ38 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 am

Some Waiver Wire guys

Doug Davis - (May 25th-30th?, Thyroid Cancer) Does he still have a rotation spot in Arizona? He could be a nice pick up because he can be a valuable strike out guy, and he is on a good team. No real physical injury, but does the lack of energy from cancer treatments hurt him?

Jason Schmidt - (Early June, Right Shoulder Surgery) - Prior to last year, Schmidt had been one of the best pitchers in baseball. His home stadium is a pitcher's park, so do you think there is a chance he can have an impact?

Orlando Hernandez - (Mid June, Right Foot surgery) - 39, but had a good year last year. He has decent strike out numbers, and hes on a solid team so maybe he could be a surprising source of wins and K's?

I think that if you are in flux with your pitching staff right now, you could look to grab these three off the waiver wire in the upcoming weeks, add them, sit them for a start or two, and see if you can maybe catch some value from one of them
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitchers who may return in the next month - Discussion

Postby freeling_prideful » Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 am

Schmidt really looks done, his velocity has declined from high 90's in his best years w/ the Giants to about 90-92 in his last functional year as a starter. In his first season w/ the Dodgers he could barely scrape 88 and this injury doesn't sound like it's fully healed (I read somewhere in ST that he was still having pain but had just decided to pitch through it...never a good sign).

Doug Davis is brutal on WHIP and walks a ton but he is a solid starter for wins and K's, he won't kill you in ERA. I like him in deep leagues--think 14 teams or expanded rosters where he would be a 7th starter. Otherwise I don't see starting him over a lot of other random guys on the wire, Litsch, Greg Smith from Oakland, etc. who could put up similar numbers.

El Duque's probably the best bet to do well while he's healthy--but also arguably the worst bet to stay healthy the rest of the year, he won't throw more than 16 starts this season.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LetsPlay2 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 am

Pick up Smoltz if you need a closer:

If his throwing sessions off the mound planned for this weekend in Atlanta go well, John Smoltz expects to begin a minor-league rehab assignment early next week and could rejoin the Braves — as a reliever — within 10 days.

The veteran pitcher, on the disabled list recovering from rotator-cuff and biceps tendon inflammation in his right shoulder, made about 40 throws from 90 feet on flat ground Wednesday and said he felt "very good."

"The future is brighter than it was two weeks ago for me," said Smoltz, who was concerned and downcast after leaving an April 27 start at New York with increased pain in his pitching shoulder.

An MRI two days later revealed severe inflammation of a biceps tendon and his rotator cuff. An injection, plus rest and rehabilitation, has eliminated the inflammation. Smoltz threw without pain three times in the past week.

He plans to throw from 120 feet Thursday, then move to the next step — mound sessions Saturday and Sunday at Turner Field. If that goes well, he'll figure out a minor-league rehab schedule with Braves officials.

"I don't know [exactly when he'll rejoin the active roster], but each day brings more optimism, and we get closer to getting in the games," Smoltz said. "I feel better, but there's still a lot to be determined. The adrenaline of a big-league game is so much different than anything else.

"So I'll look at it very carefully, and when I make the decision I'll be ready for the long haul, hopefully, and not just for a few weeks."

Smoltz, who turns 41 on Thursday, will move back to relief pitching instead of the starting rotation when he comes off the DL.

He thinks that one-inning stints will provide a better chance to stay healthy the rest of the season, rather than going back to trying to grind out five or six innings in a start before his shoulder pain becomes intolerable.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/05/14/smoltzupdate_0514.html
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigZ38 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Unfortunately in my leagues no one has dropped Smoltz. Someone did drop Borowski, a closer in hand is worth something, although I believe Borowski is the limit as the variable approaches 0. He's just down right painful. Still you may be able to squeeze some value out of him.

Even though it wasn't my plan in my main league, I ended up drafting Kennedy Hughes and Buchholz. I didn't expect them all too be good, although I thought one could potentially break out. I've had to cut the Yankees and put CB on the DL, plus I drafted Rich Hill as my #2. My only semi saving graces so far have been Dice-K, Joe Saunders and Galarraga
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby foeplay » Thu May 15, 2008 1:25 pm

I highly doubt Smoltz would be on any WW after his excellent start.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 15, 2008 1:27 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:Schmidt really looks done, his velocity has declined from high 90's in his best years w/ the Giants to about 90-92 in his last functional year as a starter. In his first season w/ the Dodgers he could barely scrape 88 and this injury doesn't sound like it's fully healed (I read somewhere in ST that he was still having pain but had just decided to pitch through it...never a good sign).

Doug Davis is brutal on WHIP and walks a ton but he is a solid starter for wins and K's, he won't kill you in ERA. I like him in deep leagues--think 14 teams or expanded rosters where he would be a 7th starter. Otherwise I don't see starting him over a lot of other random guys on the wire, Litsch, Greg Smith from Oakland, etc. who could put up similar numbers.

El Duque's probably the best bet to do well while he's healthy--but also arguably the worst bet to stay healthy the rest of the year, he won't throw more than 16 starts this season.

I agree with this Hernandez is the only one I would think about in a 12 team league.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu May 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Like to add Jake Westbrook to the list if he looks solid in rehab. I think he's got his first start tonight. Naturally, another question is the rotation in CLE is so solid right now - I guess Laffey would be moved...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu May 15, 2008 1:47 pm

isnt schilling due to return in a couple of months as well?
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Howie » Thu May 15, 2008 3:42 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:isnt schilling due to return in a couple of months as well?

I would like to know what people think about Schilling as well.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:46 pm

foeplay wrote:I highly doubt Smoltz would be on any WW after his excellent start.

It would be crazy for someone to drop Smoltz, I actually think his value is really high right now since he's a closer with SP eligibility. I've gotten some good offers for him but I'm not trading him. I'll have 3 closers while everyone else has 2...that's just awesome ;-D
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers