MLB Managers and Intentional Walking. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Managers and Intentional Walking.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB Managers and Intentional Walking.

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 15, 2008 12:35 am

Yet another "Let's walk the crappy proven veteran TM to get at the good youngster" has blown up in a manager's face today. (The Angels walked Pierzynski to get to Quentin - Quentin grand slam).

Now is it my imagination, or does non-pitcher related IBB usually have a sticky ending? Another one that happened today was Mark Grudzielanek got walked to get to Alex Gordon - which actually worked.

I wouldn't have done either of these in a million years, and it confuses me why a manager would do it. Is it lack of knowledge on their part?

:-?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB Managers and Intentional Walking.

Postby Ender » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 am

Well the White Sox one was with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out in a tie game. Most managers are going to do the IBB to set up the double play there, especially with an established veteran pitcher like Shields on the mound.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:31 am

It's funny somebody brought this up. I remember a few years back Sports Illustrated did some type of study on Barry Bonds being intentionally walked, and there were only a few situations in which it was actually beneficial to walk Bonds (or something like that). And in this particular time frame, Bonds had some pretty crappy protection (I think Ray Durham, and maybe somebody else, I don't remember who...)

While looking for this study, I found the following paper. It analyzes intentional walks (47 of them actually, all of them coming within one week during the 2004 season I believe). 25 of the walks issued were "dumb" walks, according to a baseball simulator that predicted the amount of runs that would be scored in a situation.

http://etd.uwaterloo.ca/etd/akappy2005.pdf
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Thu May 15, 2008 2:35 am

Ender wrote:Well the White Sox one was with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out in a tie game. Most managers are going to do the IBB to set up the double play there, especially with an established veteran pitcher like Shields on the mound.

Actually it was 0 outs in the 8th. Sort of wondered why they did that. The Rockies did it too although they walked Upton to get to Eric Byrnes. Byrnes immediatly grounded into a DP. :-P
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 15, 2008 3:09 am

Ender wrote:Well the White Sox one was with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out in a tie game. Most managers are going to do the IBB to set up the double play there, especially with an established veteran pitcher like Shields on the mound.

Top 8th: Chi White Sox
- S. Shields relieved J. Lackey
- J. Uribe singled to left
- O. Cabrera singled to shortstop, J. Uribe to second, J. Uribe to third, O. Cabrera to second on shortstop E. Aybar's throwing error
- A.J. Pierzynski intentionally walked
- C. Quentin homered to deep center, J. Uribe, O. Cabrera and A.J. Pierzynski scored

T'was nobody out. ;-D
I can understand setting up the double play, but Pierzynski and his career .329 OBP should have been pitched to, instead of someone who is white-hot like Quentin is. I don't want to attack Scoscia because he seems ok, but it felt like a lack of knowledge of the opposing team in this case.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:24 pm

I think the intentional walk is overused. My pet peeve is walking the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. It might make sense for that inning, but I would rather pitch to the #8 hitter who isn't going to be very good anyways, then have the pitcher lead off the next inning. In some cases, the opposing manager will even pinch hit for the pitcher and now you've just screwed yourself.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 pm

bleach168 wrote:I think the intentional walk is overused. My pet peeve is walking the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. It might make sense for that inning, but I would rather pitch to the #8 hitter who isn't going to be very good anyways, then have the pitcher lead off the next inning. In some cases, the opposing manager will even pinch hit for the pitcher and now you've just screwed yourself.

If it's like the 5th/6th inning, walking the 8th hitter to reach the pitcher should be automatic. Depending on how the game is going, you could knock him out the game and get to the bullpen earlier than the opposing manager would have liked.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 pm

bleach168 wrote:I think the intentional walk is overused. My pet peeve is walking the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. It might make sense for that inning, but I would rather pitch to the #8 hitter who isn't going to be very good anyways, then have the pitcher lead off the next inning. In some cases, the opposing manager will even pinch hit for the pitcher and now you've just screwed yourself.

Not necessarily. Because if he pinch hits for the pitcher, you no longer have to face that pitcher, and get to face a reliever in the bottom half of the inning or the top half of the next (depending who the home team is).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:49 pm

You guys are saying it's good to get to the bullpen. I'm rather neutral about it. Yes, wearing out the bullpen is good, but from the 5th inning on, starting pitching tends to wear down and it gets to be the 2nd or 3rd time through the batting order. This is where a lot of damage can be done.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 am

Ummmm................

Bottom 9th: LA Dodgers
- R. Freel in center field
- D. Weathers relieved B. Bray
- E. Encarnacion at third
- R. Martin singled to shortstop, R. Martin to second on shortstop P. Janish's throwing error
- J. Kent grounded out to second, R. Martin to third
- J. Loney intentionally walked
- M. Kemp intentionally walked
, J. Loney to second
- B. DeWitt singled to left, R. Martin scored, J. Loney to third, M. Kemp to second

If you can't trust your pitcher to pitch to EITHER of Loney or Kemp why is he pitching?
(Yeah yeah I know it's Dusty, but still....)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers