Potential High-Upside 2008 Callup... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Potential High-Upside 2008 Callup...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Potential High-Upside 2008 Callup...

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:16 am

that no one is talking about is Texas Rangers Minor Leaguer 1B Chris Davis

This guy is killing the ball once again. He dominated the minors last year and is off the same start this year. Its just a matter of time until the Rangers bring him up this year. The Rangers don't have anyone to block him and he'd be the DH/1B. The Rangers would most likely, after they trade Laird, rotate Salty and Teagarden (similar to Clement once they call him up too) from catcher to DH/1B and let Davis be the DH or 1B. 1B is also currently a pretty thin position in the minors compared to past years. Davis has great power and might be the best offensive call-up this year that has yet to be added to the yahoo or any other fantasy database.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=31402

Edit: to adjust proper MiLB level
Last edited by Havok1517 on Thu May 15, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential High-Upside 2008 Callup...

Postby hybrid » Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 am

He's in AA not AAA. But yeah he defiantly has potential, though obviously has holes in his swing (but has made some progress this year). Though he could make a pretty nice impact till MLB pitchers adjust to him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cardinal1975 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 am

I don't see Davis getting the call unless we are talking about September for a cup of coffee. He still strikes out a lot(37 times in 146atbats....that's 23.5% of his plate appearances) and does not walk very much either(11 walks as of tonight)which means he stll needs to accomplish a good deal of work before he can be remotely sucessful in the majors. I do agree he could be a very good power hitter.....when he makes contact which is not often enough. By the way Davis has been doing this in Double A which should put a bit of a damper because his strikeout rate should climb as he does in the Rangers system unless he focuses more on making contact. He does have major league power and is a solid prospect....I think he may not arrive until mid-2009 if he does not correct some of his flaws. :-)
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 am

cardinal1975 wrote:I don't see Davis getting the call unless we are talking about September for a cup of coffee. He still strikes out a lot(37 times in 146atbats....that's 23.5% of his plate appearances) and does not walk very much either(11 walks as of tonight)which means he stll needs to accomplish a good deal of work before he can be remotely sucessful in the majors. I do agree he could be a very good power hitter.....when he makes contact which is not often enough. By the way Davis has been doing this in Double A which should put a bit of a damper because his strikeout rate should climb as he does in the Rangers system unless he focuses more on making contact. He does have major league power and is a solid prospect....I think he may not arrive until mid-2009 if he does not correct some of his flaws. :-)

Sure he strikes out a lot but he's hitting .326 with those K's. I say he gets called up sometime in 2008. When, I'm not sure but he could be a cheap and good source of power.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball