Jesse Litsch, Time to start taking notice? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jesse Litsch, Time to start taking notice?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jesse Litsch, Time to start taking notice?

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 14, 2008 11:23 pm

In his last 4 starts, spanning 27 IP, Jesse Litsch has not issued a walk, and has issued only 9 ERs with 4 straight quality starts.

With young pitchers like Litsch (23), the most important stat in predicting future success is generally the K/BB ratio. If K/BB is a category in your league, it is all the more reason to give Litsch some serious consideration.

Any Toronto insiders have any insight on this guy's potential? I'm hurting bad in K/BB.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jesse Litsch, Time to start taking notice?

Postby mt99808 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:42 pm

Litsch has already by far exceeded his potential according to most in the know. But these people who judge "stuff" have also been saying that Marcum has been pitching above his head for the last year. I think you really have to give credit to Arnsberg for the development of the Jays staff. Litsch does a lot of mixing speeds and mixing pitches (throwing 5 pitches for strikes in any count) very much like Marcum. Jays have a couple lefty's in the minors in Purcey (pitching Friday in Philly because of the double header on Monday) & Cecil that could push Litsch for a rotation spot if he struggles at all.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 pm

mt99808 wrote:Litsch has already by far exceeded his potential according to most in the know. But these people who judge "stuff" have also been saying that Marcum has been pitching above his head for the last year. I think you really have to give credit to Arnsberg for the development of the Jays staff. Litsch does a lot of mixing speeds and mixing pitches (throwing 5 pitches for strikes in any count) very much like Marcum. Jays have a couple lefty's in the minors in Purcey (pitching Friday in Philly because of the double header on Monday) & Cecil that could push Litsch for a rotation spot if he struggles at all.

Marcum sure has been terriffic thus far. Entering the season, I would have taken McGowan over Marcum by a longshot, but that has obviously changed. If Toronto just had another big bat... who knows?

Halladay
Marcum
McGowan
Burnett
Litsch

could be a pretty sick rotation.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guzman24 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:02 am

Its tough to take notice when he looks like just finished elementary school.

:-b :-b

Then again, Timmy kinda looks the same way.

In all seriousness though I think Litsch is performing a bit over his head right now. I think he'll be a solid #5 starter in the Jays rotation but won't offer too much fantasy wise other than in deep leagues.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu May 15, 2008 12:17 am

You should have taken McGowan before Marcum and you shouldn't regret it. Marcum went undrafted in many leagues this season and because he hit a wall at the end of last year, it's perfectly understandable. He turned out to be the Nate McLouth of pitchers this year and no one predicted it, expect for the guy who started the "Super Deep Sleeper of 2008" thread.

Litsch has been very good last few games and he's probably good for a few spot starts here and there, but in the end, he's just not that good. Do you understand how can Brian Bannister be successful? Neither can I. It's the same thing with Litsch. He can go through some nice stretches, but unfortunately it's tough to predict a long successful career for him.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu May 15, 2008 7:17 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:If Toronto just had another big bat... who knows?

If Toronto had another big bat.. they'd still be about three big bats short of a decent offence.

Re: the topic of this thread, I don't like comparing Marcum and Litsch, I think Marcum is a significantly better pitcher. Marcum was consistently good for a while last year when he moved to the rotation; if he wore down late it's probably because he had just moved from the bullpen early in the season and just hadn't physically been pulling those kind of innings. But he's a real "pitcher" who maximizes his stuff and has great command.

Litsch always worries me. I really have no idea how he's put together 5 wins with this team so far. I like his determination and attitude and what not, but his stuff is nothing fantastic, and he often doesn't pitch that far into games for a starter. He wasn't even supposed to break camp as the #5 starter this year, but caught a big break when Janssen got hurt and has taken advantage of it. I dunno, Litsch just reminds me too much of guys like Chacin and Towers, who each had a good season here that was hard to explain, and then never came close to it again.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:If Toronto just had another big bat... who knows?

They should try and trade for a guy like Frank Thomas.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat May 24, 2008 8:08 pm

I figured I'd give this thread a bump considering Litsch shut out the Royals today. Make that 1 BB in his last 36 IP. Maybe a fluke, but he's looking tough.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Personally, I don't think there is much of a difference long term between Litsch and Marcum. They both have similar stuff, and both don't walk a lot of batters. Marcum obviously strikes out considerably more guys, but Shawn has more of a problem giving up the long ball. Marcum is the better fantasy pitcher because of the K totals, but I see both of these guys hovering around the 4.00 ERA/1.25 WHIP over the next few years.

Despite his poor start to this season, McGowan remains the better bet for the future with considerably more potential than either of the other two. He has the top fastball velocity in baseball for a starting pitcher, and his slider and curve are just nasty out pitches when he locates them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:54 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I figured I'd give this thread a bump considering Litsch shut out the Royals today. Make that 1 BB in his last 36 IP. Maybe a fluke, but he's looking tough.

38 2/3 actually.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers