What'd You Shoot Today? (Golf) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What'd You Shoot Today? (Golf)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What'd You Shoot Today? (Golf)

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed May 14, 2008 3:03 pm

I thought this would be a cool idea to have a thread for.

71-60-131 (37 putts) Schenley Park Golf Course

So I just graduated with not much to do this summer and I will be working in Finance so I better get to the "business golf" skill level. So I am a total beginner, played maybe twice per year over the last two years and I have had no lessons. BUT I just found an 18 hole course here in Pittsburgh that I can play for only $5 so I am going to try to go there three times a week for entire the summer. First 9 I had two really ugly Par 4's where I scored 13 each time, but I wasn't over 8 strokes on any of the other 16 holes. 2 Bogies, 3 Dbl Bogies. I had a nice putt which was about 20 feet and that was the highlight of the day.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What'd You Shoot Today? (Golf)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 pm

When I was in college there were a couple of courses near my school that offered nine holes for $5 or 18 holes for $10 to students, so I played a lot. Back then I was essentially a bogey golfer, with my scores generally being somewhere between 90-95 and occasionally breaking 90. Due to money and time contraints I haven't played much in the last five years, probably eight or nine times total, but this year I'm getting back into it. I'm comped at two of the three courses in my town, so I'm playing as much as I can. The best score I've put up so far this year is a 108. Putting used to be the strongest part of my game, but it's been giving me the most trouble so far. If I can get back to putting decent I should get back under 100 soon. Haven't played yet this week, but I'm planning on going at Friday and Saturday, so we'll see how it goes.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 pm

I play weekly as our company owns 3 country clubs. I am still struggling to break 90. I've done it once this year so far and I am consistently in the mid 90s. I don't practice a lot but just go out and play most of the time though. I took one lesson which completely screwed me up so I just scrapped it and went back to the way I was hitting. I don't care if I ever become a scratch golfer and I think I can hit 80s consistently eventually.

Also, I don't take mulligan and count every stroke.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Wed May 14, 2008 3:27 pm

My last time out I threw par for 18. I was two under until the last four holes, then I ganked a drive and got griplock on an approach shot and lost a couple of strokes. I only hit a couple of trees, though, which is an improvement over my first few times out this year, considering the fact that I darned near sheared one of my discs in half a couple of weeks ago on an oak down the side of #4.

I guess I forgot to ask - we can talk about disc golf too here, right? O:-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Wed May 14, 2008 5:05 pm

I can already picture Madison's answer: A trespasser!

:-b
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Wed May 14, 2008 5:14 pm

Simulacrum wrote:I can already picture Madison's answer: A trespasser!

:-b

Where? }:-)

I shot a 30-something my last time out and used nothing but a putter. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stevethumb » Wed May 14, 2008 5:38 pm

i live in an amazing golf paradise..hot springs village arkansas..there are 153 holes of great golf and and 18 hole executive course..i walked 9 this afternoon and shot 42 (22 putts--ugly)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm

I finally got way back into golf last Summer, and have played an absolute ton in the last year. I played last Sunday at Vassar College and shot a 48-46-94, and as usual, lost about half a dozen strokes on the green. I'm also losing a lot of strokes when I'm within 30 yards of the hole, but those aspects should all tighten up as the season goes on. I'm actually surprised how well I've been driving the ball and hitting my irons. I picked up a new sand wedge last week that I hit great at the range two days ago and can't wait to take out on the course, and ordered a King Cobra 3 iron to put in my bag, replacing my r7 which I broke the head off of last Fall.

Good idea for a thread. Love golf. ;-D ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Excellent thread idea! I just went out for my first round on Sunday, at a local course on the St. Joseph River. I fully didn't expect to go until several sessions on the range, but some buddies called and couldn't turn it down. I shot a 83, which is unbelievable for me since I normally shoot mid to high eighties, with some higher scores when the bag is loaded with beer.
Every year my scores tend to rise as the summer goes on, but I'm hoping to work a little harder this year to shoot more consistently. I can't wait to go with the father-in-law to Notre Dame's Warren Course, which is an unbelievable course. I only go there with him though, since he pays and the fees are rather ridiculous. Blackthorn is real nice here too, but again, somewhat salty. There are several good courses here for a relatively cheap price, so I'll be out a couple times a week this year. Ahhh, nothing beats a round of golf with 12 Miller Lights in the bag, gotta love it! ;-D :-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Madison » Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 am

Could also go in the Golf Forum too. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk