AL/NL only and ethics. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL/NL only and ethics.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL/NL only and ethics.

Postby haymarket » Wed May 14, 2008 1:48 pm

I haven't played anything except mixed leagues, so I have a question. If you are in an AL or NL only league and one of your players is traded to the other league, do you lose him? Would you receive compensation of some sort? I was helping someone over in the DTWK forum about a trade in an NL only league. He has Griffey Jr. on his team, and I suggested that he try to move him because there is a chance he gets traded to the AL. Would this be something that is unethical, or is it fair game. It's not like it's a secret that he might be traded. I would like to hear the opinions of some of you that are more experienced in these formats. Thanks.
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL/NL only and ethics.

Postby CoopernicusX » Wed May 14, 2008 1:53 pm

I play in an 8 team AL-only league.

If a player gets traded, you lose him. That's it. We like it because it makes the draft important and you gotta research who is likely to be traded and whatnot.

Also, waiver priority is crucial because if someone big comes into the league from the NL, you'll get first shot at him.
"You can observe a lot by watching." - YOGI
CoopernicusX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm in a NL-only league, and if one of your players get traded to the AL, you get first dibs at the players coming to the NL. For example, a team in the league held onto Saltamacchia for the longest time hoping that there would be a trade, and he netted Texieria at a cheap price...it makes the trading deadline a very interesting time. We have no bench players, so if you want to speculate on trades, you may have to carry some dead weight to take that chance...very interesting.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby mak1277 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm in an NL-only keeper league. If one of your guys gets traded to the AL during the season, you're stuck for the rest of the year, but we do offer some compensation for the loss in the form of supplemental draft picks. If I played in a single-season "only" I would say it's most likely that you would simply lose a guy.

As far as your question of ethics, I don't think there is any issue with the situation you describe. I think that possible trades between leagues are simply part of the strategy. A couple years ago, I acquired Soriano 2 days before the deadline for MUCH less than market value because there was a ton of talk about Washington dealing him. I took the risk and got lucky when he wasn't traded.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby stevethumb » Wed May 14, 2008 5:08 pm

in a NL only auction league, when a player is traded to the junior circuit , the owner of that player gets the player's contract price added to his FAAB
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Danimal » Wed May 14, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm in two NL-only leagues and in both leagues this year, we had guys specifically drafting the Cub's Matt Murton in hopes of landing the Oriole's Brian Roberts, who was forever rumored this spring to be headed to the Cubs. Obviously, that was a gamble that didn't pay off, but that strategy often works.
In 2002, the Expos acquired Bartolo Colon from the Indians and I happened to have a top prospect Brandon Phillips on my bench at the time. It turned out to be a great boost for my roto team.
Last year, when I heard Salty might be trade bait for Tex, I picked him up for a bench slot and was richly rewarded weeks later.

As for the Colon trade, The Indians were huge benefactors. The Expos sent them Philips (who was later traded and and finally blossomed with Cinci), Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.

And it all went south for the Expos and Colon.

:-)
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Danimal wrote:I'm in two NL-only leagues and in both leagues this year, we had guys specifically drafting the Cub's Matt Murton in hopes of landing the Oriole's Brian Roberts, who was forever rumored this spring to be headed to the Cubs. Obviously, that was a gamble that didn't pay off, but that strategy often works.
In 2002, the Expos acquired Bartolo Colon from the Indians and I happened to have a top prospect Brandon Phillips on my bench at the time. It turned out to be a great boost for my roto team.
Last year, when I heard Salty might be trade bait for Tex, I picked him up for a bench slot and was richly rewarded weeks later.

As for the Colon trade, The Indians were huge benefactors. The Expos sent them Philips (who was later traded and and finally blossomed with Cinci), Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.

That actually sounds really, really cheap and totally lame. Basically picking up Teixeira off the wire just because you were the first to hear the trade rumors. Yeah, it does encourage you to stay up to date but when news breaks fast, not everyone can be sitting there waiting for it.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Merlin401 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Danimal wrote:I'm in two NL-only leagues and in both leagues this year, we had guys specifically drafting the Cub's Matt Murton in hopes of landing the Oriole's Brian Roberts, who was forever rumored this spring to be headed to the Cubs. Obviously, that was a gamble that didn't pay off, but that strategy often works.

That actually sounds really, really cheap and totally lame. Basically picking up Teixeira off the wire just because you were the first to hear the trade rumors. Yeah, it does encourage you to stay up to date but when news breaks fast, not everyone can be sitting there waiting for it.

Agreed, this makes me never want to play in an AL, NL only league. Seems like the trade deadline randomly changes the entire make-up of teams that were built well or built poorly. Its hard enough having your season ruined by injuries... this makes it more of a crap-shoot.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Danimal » Wed May 14, 2008 10:44 pm

It's an added dimension to the game. But it's impact is relatively rare compared to all the other factors that can screw your team. Injuries. Dumb managers, GMs that delay a player's arrival to the bigs for monetary reasons are other slightly unfair circumstances, but you deal with it.

Lame? I think it's was crafty and smart. Most other owners would have done the same if they had some bench space and prior knowledge.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers